Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning off/Removing System Sounds

Exclamation Turning off/Removing System Sounds

Hello all, I am wondering how I would go about turning off/removing the system sounds so that I can use BT3 in school(not for auditing). I have a stock eee PC 4GB Surf, and have BT3on my 16gb sd card. it probably would not be that big of a problem, but I cannot seem to get it working in a persistent mode. I can only do live "usb" boots. I've tried every tutorial on remote-exploit forums as well as other various sites and cannot get it to work.
    I've tried going into BT3 and deleting the sounds, but when I reboot they are back, because the changes weren't saved.

If someone can solve either of those problems it would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, it'd be cool if even when I have a full battery BT3 dosen't alert me saying I have 8 minutes left.
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Thought about one of these? i use an ole 3.5mm jack from some busted headphones to turn the sound off. not a fix but its an alternative solution

Use alsamixer (in a console) and mute the master output.

Use left/right arrow keys to move around and hit "M" to mute - press "Esc" to exit and then type "alsacfg store" if you want to maintain your settings over reboot

But don't use BT in the classroom if you're supposed to be studying something else!

super alsamixer

jack (i use jack)

thank you re@lity for precision

Developer

If you describe your problem with save changes i will try to help. Have you tried my How-To for the eeepc sd card? where did you have a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    Hello all, I am wondering how I would go about turning off/removing the system sounds so that I can use BT3 in school(not for auditing). I have a stock eee PC 4GB Surf, and have BT3on my 16gb sd card. it probably would not be that big of a problem, but I cannot seem to get it working in a persistent mode. I can only do live "usb" boots. I've tried every tutorial on remote-exploit forums as well as other various sites and cannot get it to work.
    I've tried going into BT3 and deleting the sounds, but when I reboot they are back, because the changes weren't saved.

If someone can solve either of those problems it would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, it'd be cool if even when I have a full battery BT3 dosen't alert me saying I have 8 minutes left.
    Have you tried the cheat code on the wiki?
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Default reply

Yes, I have tried your eeepc tutorial posted here: http: forums.remote exploit org showthread.php?t=12183 (I had to chop it up, I cant post links yet)and It would not work for me. I currently still have BT3 booting off of the card, but only as a live cd. This is my post from that thread discribing what happened.
    And now you should have....

bt~#cd /mnt/sda2
    bt~#ls
    xine (or something like that)
    lost & found
    images
    changes
    I followed these directions, and I am able to boot off of the card now, but my changes aren't saved. In the folder mentioned above, There is only the lost and found and changes folder. I am using a 16gb card and I partitioned it as told in your tutorial, but added a 3rd partition. sda1 and 2 are fat32 and ext3 respectively, and both 1.5GB. The 3rd partition is fat32 and 9gb. I need the 3rd partition for extra storage, since XP pretty much filled the SSD. Is that why the other 2 folders are missing?
    Currently I have 2 partitions on my card now. a 14.5 gb fat and a 1.5 gb ext3.
    Thanks again for any help.

Also, now that I am home now I will try the alsamixer and nosound cheat and reply if they work.
    EDIT: alsamixer isn't working. I can open it, can change the volume, but there seems to be no alsacfg. there is no place to type it within alsamixer, and when you press escape the program exits. As for the startup cheat, how do I use it? I don't know when to put it in
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Hi eovnu87435ds,
    Have you read through this thread yet, regarding your problems with
    persistent changes? http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10236
    Hope you haven't, as there is a lot of information in that thread on how to
    get it to work !
    - Poul Wittig

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Use alsamixer (in a console) and mute the master output.

Use left/right arrow keys to move around and hit "M" to mute - press "Esc" to exit and then type "alsacfg store" if you want to maintain your settings over reboot

But don't use BT in the classroom if you're supposed to be studying something else!
    -bash: alsacfg: command not found

did you mean alsactl?

alsaconfig i think

for the alsa options just type alsa then hit tab you'll see it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast