Thread: How-To: BT3 and Compiz, an epic saga.......

Exclamation How-To: BT3 and Compiz, an epic saga.......

Let me first start off by saying if after reading this you don't understand how/why I'm saying what I'm saying, you haven't done enough research. This is a great place to start, but you need to see what others have posted to get a clear point of why this worked for me and may/may not work for you. That being said, let's begin:

Current setup =
    • Dual boot w/ Vista Ultimate and BT3 DVD HDD install
    • 500 gig HDD four-way partitioned for Vista/BT3 dual boot
    • AMD 64 x2 5200+
    • nVidia GeForce 6150SE
    • nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    • 3 gigs RAM
    • DVD+R/RW
    I include this list purely as a basis for comparison between my setup and yours, so that you may adjust the tutorial to suit your own needs (not barring research beforehand of course).

Following both mut's dual booting tutorial and the compiz instructions from BackTrack Wiki, I edited my make_iso.bat and syslinux config, placed the nvidia.lzm into the ../../BT3/Optional directory, and resized my HDD to accommodate for the 3 new partitions about to be made. I then ran make_iso.bat, granting admin rights to the ../../BT3/tools/WIN/mkisofr.exe file beforehand, and burned this newly created .iso at x4 speed.

I boot up with the LiveDVD, following muts tutorial once again, I created my 3 partitions, copied over the necessary file structures, and edited my /etc/lilo.conf to give me the two boot options at startup.

Here's where the fun begins....

BT3 boots up, root:toor, startx and......BAM!!! Nothing. Well not exactly nothing but not what I expected at any cost. The Compiz-Fusion icon is in the lower right corner, as expected, but there were only two desktops (when compiz is up and running you'll see eight). Additionally, none of my windows had titlebars or those nifty minimize/maximize/close buttons we all adore ....

Keep in mind, what I did from here on out worked for me, and in all likeliness will work for you, but it may in-fact not. From what I researched on current compiz related issues beforehand, I knew I had to copy the cubez.lzm from the LiveDVD over to my / folder and lzm2dir it. So, I did. A quick Ctrl+Alt+Backspace later and a startx and now we have.......nothing! No change..... I rebooted just to clear my mind and while booting I noticed that the nVidia.lzm I included earlier wasn't being incorporated on startup. When I got to the desktop I copied the nvidia.lzm to my / and lzm2dir that as well. That got me a screen full of garbled mess.... No worries though, I restarted and before running startx, I
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    just to see what's up....

Remembering what I had looked up earlier I append
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    to the end of the file, save, and exit. Now on startx I get the eight desktops I mentioned earlier, the ability to rotate cube, etc, but still no titlebars.....

A quick search of the forums later, I stumble upon
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
    nvidia-xconfig -d 24
    and enter the two commands into a terminal.

Once again I Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, startx and.....VIOLA!!!! A fully working compiz-fusion/BT3 hybrid............tasty isn't it

This is the EXACT series of events leading up to my now compiz'd dual boot. If you've gotten this far then you know this is primarily for nVidia users, as ATI has separate issues entirely regarding compiz. If you have any questions/comments/suggestions (please play nice) I will be more than happy to help!!!!

Have fun and don't drive yourself crazy with your new spinny cube-O-doom!!!!!

Just burned his ISO

First off, thanks to shadowkill for the tutorial and to Dr. Green for the uploaded cub3z.lzm (couldn't find the one on my liveCD.)

I didn't follow things exactly, being that I had already gotten my BT3 beta and Vista set up for a dual boot. For those who might find themselves starting already with a HDD install, just copy the compiz module to your "/" directory. Open a shell, cd to that directory, lzm2dir cubez.lzm (or cub3z.lzm).

After that just follow the rest of shadowkill's instructions!

As a side note, here are my specs:

Dell Inspiron 1520
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 GHz
    4 GBs RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 256 MB RAM
    Intel 3945 A/B/G Wireless
    Dual booting Vista and BT3

I've read on the compiz-fusion forums as well as noticed myself that the 8600 (and supposedly the 8xxx series) cards have issues with certain things. Mainly minimizing and black outs when restoring windows. If I find a fix, I'll post that here.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slagg View Post
    First off, thanks to shadowkill for the tutorial and to Dr. Green for the uploaded cub3z.lzm (couldn't find the one on my liveCD.)
    Thats because the cubez.lzm is not on the live cd.
    Takes up to much room. It is on the DVD version of BT.
    But nice to see you got it working and posted verification for other users.

To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I didn't follow things exactly, being that I had already gotten my BT3 beta and Vista set up for a dual boot. For those who might find themselves starting already with a HDD install, just copy the compiz module to your "/" directory. Open a shell, cd to that directory, lzm2dir cubez.lzm (or cub3z.lzm).

After that just follow the rest of shadowkill's instructions!
    No worries brother, just here to lend a hand. The reason I wrote the tutorial the way I did was so that every process was identified. That way, if during someone else's venture they happened to deviate from the way I accomplished the install, they could find the step they were on and corry forth from there.

Glad you could get it up and running!!!!

I've read on the compiz-fusion forums as well as noticed myself that the 8600 (and supposedly the 8xxx series) cards have issues with certain things. Mainly minimizing and black outs when restoring windows. If I find a fix, I'll post that here.
    That interesting to hear. I have the 8800 GT myself and have had absolutely no graphical issues whatsoever. I'll look into it and see what I can find however.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

A little more searching on the CF and Nvidia forums garnered that there is apparently a problem with the powermizer function of some nvidia cards and compiz-fusion. The gist of it is that the powermizer feature scales down the performance level of the card and compiz fusion doesn't utilize enough 3d power all the time to warrant it kicking the card back up a notch.

A few users found the following workaround to be helpful:

# while true; do nvidia-settings -q all > /dev/null; sleep 25; done

This queries the card for information which effectively forces it to bump the performance level up to it's highest setting, 2. I've noticed some improvement running this command, but effects are still kinda slow on the 8600.

Maybe that'll help someone else.

That's great, it may help someone indeed. Thanks for sharing and I'm very happy to see you've got it up and running to your liking. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Unhappy

I installed nVidia.lzm, I started getting a nVidia logo on every logon
    Then downloaded compiz source from compiz site. Compiled,installed it according to instructions
    No change in desktop

Edited xorg.conf , still nothing

Then downloaded lzms from
    h77p://forums.remote-exploit.org/archive/index.php/t-12609.html
    Installed them. No change

Also executed the nvidia commands in the first post.

Then copied and installed cubez.lzm from DVD
    Now on the new desktop is royally s%^$#. No titlebars and 100s of desktops Cant run anything except terminal without hanging up. Did a Ctrl-At-Backspace, run xconf and startx again.
    Desktop back to normal

I see Compiz Fusion Icon installed in System menu and its icon in taskbar, but new themes or 3D desktop arenot working

Here is the output from 2 commands
    Code:
    bt ~ # compiz
    compiz (core) - Warn: Unable to parse XML metadata from file "core.xml"
    compiz (core) - Fatal: No composite extension
    bt ~ # compiz-manager
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 02:00.0 0300: 10de:0161 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: xdpyinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libdmx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    not present.
    aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
    no /usr/bin/metacity found, exiting

I have nVidia 6200TC card on nvidia 6100 chipset board, 1GB RAM, AMD 4200+ XP and BT3 dualboot
    [FONT="System"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]I am not arrogant, just better than you.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

I had a lot of trouble with the titlebars as well until I found this post, I am using BT3 beta on an USB stick with save changes.

The changes are being saved to an EXT2 on the same USB Stick and works well but I am having some trouble with making the titlebars re-appear when I boot the stick - as of this moment, I have to enter the nvidia commands every time.

But since the nvidia commands writes directly to the xorg.conf, this shouldn't be necesarry, right?

EDIT: Once again I think I have found the solution by searching the forum - it seems like I've got to learn to search more actively before I post

for those who need it, the solution can be found here : http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...light=rc.local