Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System engineer's iraq toolkit?

Default System engineer's iraq toolkit?

DISCLAIMER: this is a strange thread

I'm deploying to iraq in a little while and i know i'm not going to be the only one bringing a computer with me. However, it does dawn upon me that iraq poses some odd problems for a grunt in a unit in which most people can't tell a mouse from a keyboard. People will undoubtedly break stuff, and come to me for help. So far i figure i can get aircans there - sand will be a problem. A USB stick with BT3 and BT2 on it are also coming for data recovery, along with a USB2 drive converter in case they really jack up their sh*t. However, i'm a fan of r-studio and have yet to install it on linux; what are some good drive recovery tools available here? Moreover, i think i'm going to have to move my real install into the USB stick since i've modified it so much and can't get it back into live mode (if someone could help, it would be great).

In the event of windows password loss i use a tool called offline. Can that be integrated into my BT3 install so i dont have too much crap? (weight is a serious consideration, i'm a grunt, i have to carry lots of stuff around every time they move me somewhere)

What else do you guys think i'll need? I dont think i'll have much time for pentesting, but i'm sure i'll have to fix a computer/laptop/etc at least once a week once i do the 1st one. Thanks for any advice and help you could provide.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post

I'm deploying to iraq in a little while and i know i'm not going to be the only one bringing a computer with me. However, it does dawn upon me that iraq poses some odd problems for a grunt in a unit in which most people can't tell a mouse from a keyboard. People will undoubtedly break stuff, and come to me for help.
    Might also check on the thread here somewhere about "boot cd's"
    if i find it will add it here. EDIT: see next post

Also not to steer anyone from BT but there is also Helix live cd which is basically a live linux geared towards forensics. It might help in recovering files etc. ( I only know it exists and nothing more)
    Also take all of the usb stick, keys, drives you can.
    The sticks/keys hold up good against sand. (plastic bags as I am sure you know of are a god send).
    Might wanna look into some of these tools that are provided in BT while you still have easy access to the 'net: Sleuthkit, DD, Autopsy, magic rescue,
    and some of the others that are found in bt2/3beta.

Good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Might also check on the thread here somewhere about "boot cd's"
    if i find it will add it here.

Also not to steer anyone from BT but there is also Helix live cd which is basically a live linux geared towards forensics. It might help in recovering files etc. ( I only know it exists and nothing more)
    Also take all of the usb stick, keys, drives you can.
    The sticks/keys hold up good against sand. (plastic bags as I am sure you know of are a god send).
    Might wanna look into some of these tools that are provided in BT while you still have easy access to the 'net: Sleuthkit, DD, Autopsy, magic rescue,
    and some of the others that are found in bt2/3beta.

Good luck
    I be leave this is the thread you were speaking about http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=12900

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wick86 View Post
    I be leave this is the thread you were speaking about http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=12900
    Yes that is is wick86 thanks
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Knowing young servicemen, you'll be dealing with viri and spyware. I use the above frequently at work. This disk has saved me countless hours. It's based on BartPe and boots an XP Pro system with anti-virus and anti-spyware software already installed. You update the definitions when you build the disk, and it's easy enough to rebuild that you can update weekly. Just burn it to a cdrw.

It also features the offline password changing utility, darik's boot and nuke and a bunch of other useful utilities. You should give it a try. It's made me lots of money in the recent past.

You'll need a licensed copy of xp pro to build it, but it's well worth the effort.

I'm a dyed in the wool linux user, btw. It takes a lot for me to recommend a "Windows" based boot disk, but this one really works well when you are dealing with screwed up windows boxes.

Good Luck

Keep a couple copies of your os, or clones of your computer handy. I lost a partition on my laptop on the way over to sandland. It's pretty hard to find an OSX install cd over there! For the most part I really didn't have too many problems there, dirt will be the biggest problem. I'm sure theprez has some things to add, as he's been over there since I was.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Sand is a major problem in some places, and not so much a problem in other places. It really all depends on where you're going, and when. I was fortunate enough that sand was never really much of a problem during the time I was there.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I second that, I keep a copy of UBCD handy. It proves useful Another place to look if you want to is go to google and type ultimate boot cd it's the first in the list. There's info there to put it on USB if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post

I'm deploying to iraq in a little while and i know i'm not going to be the only one bringing a computer with me. However, it does dawn upon me that iraq poses some odd problems for a grunt in a unit in which most people can't tell a mouse from a keyboard. People will undoubtedly break stuff, and come to me for help. So far i figure i can get aircans there - sand will be a problem. A USB stick with BT3 and BT2 on it are also coming for data recovery, along with a USB2 drive converter in case they really jack up their sh*t. However, i'm a fan of r-studio and have yet to install it on linux; what are some good drive recovery tools available here? Moreover, i think i'm going to have to move my real install into the USB stick since i've modified it so much and can't get it back into live mode (if someone could help, it would be great).

In the event of windows password loss i use a tool called offline. Can that be integrated into my BT3 install so i dont have too much crap? (weight is a serious consideration, i'm a grunt, i have to carry lots of stuff around every time they move me somewhere)

What else do you guys think i'll need? I dont think i'll have much time for pentesting, but i'm sure i'll have to fix a computer/laptop/etc at least once a week once i do the 1st one. Thanks for any advice and help you could provide.
    Here is a thread you will need to take a look at:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...hlight=autopsy

Personally I think FCCU Forensic is far better, and heres why:

FCCU GNU/Linux Forensic Bootable CD is a bootable CD based on KNOPPIX that contains a lot of tools suitable for computer forensic investigations, including bash scripts.

FCCU GNU/Linux Forensic Boot CD's main purpose is to create images of devices prior to analysis, and it is used by the Belgian Federal Computer Crime Unit.

Find and befriend you're local 918B in charge of C&E. I was gifted two solid years in Baghdad as a 94 by my uncle. Main laptop problem encountered was broken motherboard power connector and power brick failure. (Butane solder pencil(Radio Shack)) Daily maint and plastic bags will prevent most dust/sand problems. I only wish I had BT when I was there. I would have had free wifi. I use PGP for email. Winternal ERD commander (boot) is good also. I also had a lot of fun with THC Scan on the phone system. Depends on where you are as the Prez said. If you're in the middle of nowhere you're on you're own. I would recommend an Asus EeePC w/Alfa 500 with BT3 for sure. Find the car charger for it. Do Not connect across 24V. Use a meter(Radio Shack pocket meter) and verify 12V points. I wouldn’t worry about an OS other than BT and XP pro. And an assortment of DVD tools. An EeePC and a small DVD player still weighs less than a normal laptop. Depends on how deep you get into electronic repair. 2 cents
    >Oh, and a nice bit of shrink wrap. Makes things real pretty.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast