Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vi automatically creating backup files?

Just burned his ISO

Default vi automatically creating backup files?

Hi,

I am using the BT3 beta and noticed that vi is always making a backup of the file I edited.
    Before
    # ls
    File
    vi File, change a line and save
    # ls
    File
    File~

How can I turn this feature off?
    Thanks,

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bofh1234 View Post
    Hi,

I am using the BT3 beta and noticed that vi is always making a backup of the file I edited.
    Before
    # ls
    File
    # ls
    File
    File~

Thanks,
    Are you exiting Vi correctly?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh1234 View Post
    Hi,

Before
    # ls
    File
    # ls
    File
    File~

Thanks,
    I'm pretty sure those are files that are in actual use. I've noticed them with my xorg.cfg.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm pretty sure those are files that are in actual use. I've noticed them with my xorg.cfg.
    If you exit Vi incorrectly then it will leave those files. That's why I asked if he was exiting correctly.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you exit Vi incorrectly then it will leave those files. That's why I asked if he was exiting correctly.
    Weird. I haven't seen that yet. I've only ever seen it while using backtrack. I figured they were temporary in use files. I know it gives you all kinds of crap about editing the original while there is one with the ~.

So,,, how many tabs do you keep open on your browser??
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Weird. I haven't seen that yet. I've only ever seen it while using backtrack. I figured they were temporary in use files. I know it gives you all kinds of crap about editing the original while there is one with the ~.

So,,, how many tabs do you keep open on your browser??
    Normally, Six.

Normally, Six.
    Damn!! I try to keep it down to two or three. Let me fire up the Box. I'll see if I find any ~ files.

Well I'll be dipped in shit!

bt X11 # ls -l
    total 50
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 154 Feb 14 2007 app-defaults/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 772 Dec 7 16:28 gui.conf
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root console 52 Feb 16 2007 mwm/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 93 Oct 9 18:08 xinit/
    drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 252 Dec 7 16:28 xkb/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15924 Mar 15 02:08 xorg.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17100 Dec 7 16:28 xorg.conf-fbdev
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15858 Dec 7 16:28 xorg.conf-vesa
    bt X11 #
    I edit xorg.conf by dd'ing a line, and get this.

bt X11 # ls -l
    total 66
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 154 Feb 14 2007 app-defaults/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 772 Dec 7 16:28 gui.conf
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root console 52 Feb 16 2007 mwm/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 93 Oct 9 18:08 xinit/
    drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 252 Dec 7 16:28 xkb/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15922 Mar 15 02:10 xorg.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17100 Dec 7 16:28 xorg.conf-fbdev
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15858 Dec 7 16:28 xorg.conf-vesa
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15924 Mar 15 02:08 xorg.conf~
    bt X11 #
    Wonder why it's doing that?? Well off to see Uncle Google.

Well I'll be dipped in shit!

I edit xorg.conf by dd'ing a line, and get this.

Wonder why it's doing that?? Well off to see Uncle Google.
    I use Vi all the time and I've never seen it do that except when you exit vi incorrectly. Actually, I pretty much use vi exclusively on all my nix boxen.

Oh, and if you really want to be dipped in shit, I'm pretty sure I could have that arranged as well.

I use Vi all the time and I've never seen it do that except when you exit vi incorrectly. Actually, I pretty much use vi exclusively on all my nix boxen.

Oh, and if you really want to be dipped in shit, I'm pretty sure I could have that arranged as well.
    Yea, I use it all the time too. I've only seen it in backtrack. Never seen it in OSX, or Ubuntu.

Oh, I've been dipped in shit already (pig farm), really don't want to relive the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast