Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth re-installing?

Default Is it worth re-installing?

Ok, i have bt3 live on my hdd, everything *seems* to work ok, (except for known things like speakers, etc.) on b my MBP (2nd gen)

I'm THINKING about reinstalling the usb ver (which i have on dvd & usb) but i can't boot from it (from usb). Using refit. But i'm thinking about installing again for compiz and whatever other goodies it might have pre loaded... BUT! ....

I have the ATI x1600 in my MBP, and i wend to the site and got the linux drivers for that card, installed compiz (like all of it i think) from gslapt, and i STILL have nothing compiz! ??? what gives? after i install it from gslapt do i need to go and install it again? OR, would all this be easier to do from just re-installing the dvd (usb ver) ?

Also i can't get the proper codecs (sound/vid) to work. (and i'm really not sure what they may be) is there maybe just like a repository with a library for all this?

Thnx all

-KS

Developer

Compiz with ATI is very shaky. The few people who have gotten it to work report it is rather slow. The better place to be "searching" for the answer would be the compiz fusion forums.

I know it works, and works VERY well on the list laptop because i was using ubuntu, and it worked like a charm! ... i'm still a bit of a linux n00b and it wasn't too hard for me to get it all working. So bottom line, i know it works on this exact hardware.... now the issue is how to i get it working in bt3 lol.... and i did chk out the compiz forums a while back, but they don't say anything about slack distro, and i chk'd out compiling myself, but i'm not quite that good yet lol. .... i'm just at a loss, i know bt is a productive environment, but i replaced my ubuntu to force myself to operate in bt only so i can learn all it has to offer over time. But, i guess thought would be nice to have compiz, and i KNOW i'm not the only one who wants it. lol. ........but thanx anyways.

-KS

Quote Originally Posted by .K.S. View Post
    Ok, i have bt3 live on my hdd, everything *seems* to work ok, (except for known things like speakers, etc.) on b my MBP (2nd gen)

I'm THINKING about reinstalling the usb ver (which i have on dvd & usb) but i can't boot from it (from usb). Using refit. But i'm thinking about installing again for compiz and whatever other goodies it might have pre loaded... BUT! ....

I have the ATI x1600 in my MBP, and i wend to the site and got the linux drivers for that card, installed compiz (like all of it i think) from gslapt, and i STILL have nothing compiz! ??? what gives? after i install it from gslapt do i need to go and install it again? OR, would all this be easier to do from just re-installing the dvd (usb ver) ?

Also i can't get the proper codecs (sound/vid) to work. (and i'm really not sure what they may be) is there maybe just like a repository with a library for all this?

Thnx all

-KS
    If you don't have the usb extended version installed, installing it wouldn't be a bad idea as it has more packages available.

I'm not sure because I don't use compiz yet but you can try using the command compiz-start instead of startx when you start kde.

Have you tried the different multimedia packages available in the kde menu to play music and videos. Some may need configuring in terms of selecting your sound card etc.

Google your problem. Someone is sure to have had similar problems and found a solution which they've posted somewhere.

Edit: Try this for compiz help.
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_compiz-fusion
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Default Re-Installed...

Well, that was the fastest re-install i've EVER done! lol.... loaded ubuntu live cd, deleted partition, formatted to ex3, rebooted with bt3 dvd (usb ver) installed (real), rebooted, and that's that.... all in less then 15 mins! now i have to d/l the ati drivers from their site (50mb) and i'm offshore one a line slower then dail-up :-( ...all in all, everything looks good, except honestly, i don't see ONE thing different! lol.... i'm sure it's somewhere on here and i just don't know how to get to it.

Also:

Even though i get my ATI drivers from their site with automated package, do/should i also do the "ati.lzm" that's on the wiki how-to? ...Will it make any difference, or is it the same thing?

Thnx all,

-KS

Developer

What lone wolf forgot to tell you is you need the compiz .lzm out of the bt3/optional folder.

Insert the .lzm to your new install then the next time you reboot type

bt~#cubez
    bt~#xconf
    bt~#startx

You will still need to work out the driver issue. This thread may be of interest to you.
    Also the compiz-fusion forum Admins are very helpful. They helped me out when I installed compiz from scratch in BT2

ok, now i feel stupid lol..... i copied i the cubez.lzm to / and when i reboot and type cubez, i even that it's not a valid bash command (or something like that) .... i think i might have missed somethnig. Like is it supposed to be on my / dir? ... i dunno, i've tried a few different things, and nothing works so far..... i'm sure i just missed something somewhere......... any ideas?

Thnx: Lone, & Pure

-KS

Developer

bt~#lzm2dir filename.lzm /

Ok, that's not working either. here's what happened:

did the lzm2dir, and rebooted,
    entered "#cubez" and it worked,
    entered "xconfig" then i got the black screen and back to the cmd line.
    entered "startx" and same as above.

I had to do, "aticonfig --initial --force" b4 i could get back it x (see i AM learning, because if this would have happened last week, i would have re-installed! lol).

Ok, while i'm waiting on a response, i'm going to just try to load "cubez" then run startx and i'll let you know the results, (although i'm sure you're laughing knowing what's going to happen, and it probably won't work lol.)

Thnx.

-KS

Developer

Let me be clear. I do not have a ati video card so I have no idea how to get it going. I simply showed you how to insert the compiz .lzm and run the commands. You will have to do some research on how to get the drivers to work. It is not easy and thats why barbsi did not include ati driver support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast