Thread: ThinkPad T43 network IFs swapping problem

Default ThinkPad T43 network IFs swapping problem

Hello everybody,

Originally I wanted to post this on a BT2 or 3beta support forum but, since I can only post messages here ...

I have successfully installed Backtrack 2 to HDD on my IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop, in a dualboot configuration. Everything was worked out perfectly with one single problem, sometimes network interfaces eth0 and eth1 are swapped. On the laptop are 2 interfaces, one wired ethernet adapter and one intel chipset based wireless adapter. For some reason sometimes when I boot up BT the two interfaces are swapping their id (eg. sometimes eth0 is the wireless adapter sometimes eth1).

Originally eth0 was the wired and eth1 the wireless adapter. They are not changing their id on every boot, only sometimes.

I thought that this is corrected in BT3beta but the problem is still present.

Is there a boot script or configuration file which I can modify to avoid this behavior?

hmm i don't think it's only your problem that having. I am having those issues sometime.

Which it normaly happens lot on liveCD. after installion to hdd i think problem went away.

but i still see that sometimes on desktop. usually liveCD.

I installed each of Backtracks on harddisk. I have tried BT2 and BT3beta also.

There must be a bootscript somewhere which determines this behavior.

The system boots mostly in normal configuration with eth0 as wired IF and eth1 wireless IF. Only on 4th or 5th boot the two cards are changing ids and on the next boot it is again normal.

Any ideas?