Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help with Wireless Cracking.

Unhappy Please help with Wireless Cracking.

I have been trying to crack my WEP key for 20 minutes in Aircrack. I have about 350,000 IVs. I am using BT2. I noticed that Airodump creates 2 files that are about the same size- a .dump file and a .cap file. Which one am I supposed decrypt using Aircrack? Why would this take so long to crack? My WEP key contains 6 letters, 2 numbers, and then 2 letters. I have seen in tutorials that when Aircrack is finished cracking the key, it gives you something like this: xx:xx:xx... WEP keys don't have colons in them. How would you use this?

Just burned his ISO

just remove the colons

Just remove the colons when using them. They do have colons on the routers page. Unless you actually mean you use WPA. You need to use the .cap file for cracking.

-Stephen

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yomama07024 View Post
    I have been trying to crack my WEP key for 20 minutes in Aircrack. I have about 350,000 IVs. I am using BT2. I noticed that Airodump creates 2 files that are about the same size- a .dump file and a .cap file. Which one am I supposed decrypt using Aircrack? Why would this take so long to crack? My WEP key contains 6 letters, 2 numbers, and then 2 letters. I have seen in tutorials that when Aircrack is finished cracking the key, it gives you something like this: xx:xx:xx... WEP keys don't have colons in them. How would you use this?
    You can use the key with colons manually in a shell.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix910 View Post
    Just remove the colons when using them. They do have colons on the routers page. Unless you actually mean you use WPA. You need to use the .cap file for cracking.

-Stephen
    I always use the .cap file? I use WEP. Why did I have 350,000 IVs and it wouldn't crack it?

Sometimes it still needs more than that, but it depends what command you are using and whether you tried the PTW method or not, etc. Give us a console output of exactly what happens when you don't find it, as you may need to do some "fudge factor" adjustments. And yes, you always use the .cap file.

-Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix910 View Post
    Sometimes it still needs more than that, but it depends what command you are using and whether you tried the PTW method or not, etc. Give us a console output of exactly what happens when you don't find it, as you may need to do some "fudge factor" adjustments. And yes, you always use the .cap file.

-Stephen
    I went into Kismet so my adapter would go into monitor mode. Then I opened up a shell and typed in airodump-ng rausb0 -w /root
    then i opened another shell and typed aireplay-ng -1 0 -e YHZ1 -a xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -h xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx rausb0
    After that, i opened another shell and typed aireplay-ng -3 -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -h xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx rasub0
    Then, after collecting hundreds of thousands of IVs, I opened another shell and typed in aircrack-ng -s /root/whateverthefilenameis.cap
    It would try to crack for hours and nothing would happen. Is there anything I did wrong? Please help me guys.

Are you following one of the simple step-by-step guides here in the forum?
    If so, which one?
    If not, why not?

Well, is there anything wrong with what I did?

Quote Originally Posted by yomama07024 View Post
    Well, is there anything wrong with what I did?
    Try answering the questions you are being asked, they are being asked for a reason and the answers will help people to help you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast