Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: New to the pentesting scene (Introduction)

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default New to the pentesting scene (Introduction)

    Hello, I am Cold_Revenge <--- although not big on my screen name! But whats in a name right?
    I am a user of whax but just "upgraded" to the BT3. I am useing it on an IBM laptop t42 with the 2100 wireless card built in. It worked right after installation.
    I also carry a pcmcia that also works with out any driver updates. I can put them both in monitor mode but only the prism can inject.
    I am learning the tools the best I can. Slow going, when your still new to all of it. I was looking for a community to help me develop my pen testing skills. I think there is a future in it.
    So my question is.. How would you going about getting work to black box clients? is that all I should do? small clients of 50 or so work stations I could see myself footprinting, but not enterprise networks.
    how does the pricing work? I am sorry,, I have so many questions and an in hunt for a forum that can or will help me out.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Revenge View Post
    Hello, I am Cold_Revenge <--- although not big on my screen name! But whats in a name right?
    I am a user of whax but just "upgraded" to the BT3. I am useing it on an IBM laptop t42 with the 2100 wireless card built in. It worked right after installation.
    I also carry a pcmcia that also works with out any driver updates. I can put them both in monitor mode but only the prism can inject.
    I am learning the tools the best I can. Slow going, when your still new to all of it. I was looking for a community to help me develop my pen testing skills. I think there is a future in it.
    So my question is.. How would you going about getting work to black box clients? is that all I should do? small clients of 50 or so work stations I could see myself footprinting, but not enterprise networks.
    how does the pricing work? I am sorry,, I have so many questions and an in hunt for a forum that can or will help me out.
    Thanks
    You might be better off gaining experience working for someone else as opposed to going out on your own. I think you'd have trouble getting any clients when they ask about your experience and you don't have any.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Experience isn't the issue, I am a network security officer at a very large instillation with clearance. I finished college in 92, been TSSBI cleared for years, was a radio man on submarines. Still carry the clearance today. I work in a testing lab at a Dod facility.
    But I didn't ask about whether or not I could explain my background. I asked specific questions about getting started.. are you a qualified penetration tester? Is there anything you could teach me? or get me going in the right direction?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    220

    Default

    I dont think the problem is your clearence, or 'trust-a-bility', more you experience on pen testing a network, checking software authentication for encryption, wireless encyprtion testing, contacts and social engineering, dictionary attacks etc etc.
    &#119;&#116;&#102;&#63;

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    468

    Default

    These are two book to get you started

    Gray-Hat-Hacking-Ethical-Handbook:

    http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Hat-Hacki.../dp/0072257091

    Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit, Volume 2 (Paperback):

    http://www.amazon.com/Penetration-Te.../dp/1597492132


    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Revenge View Post
    Experience isn't the issue, I am a network security officer at a very large instillation with clearance. I finished college in 92, been TSSBI cleared for years, was a radio man on submarines. Still carry the clearance today. I work in a testing lab at a Dod facility.
    But I didn't ask about whether or not I could explain my background. I asked specific questions about getting started.. are you a qualified penetration tester? Is there anything you could teach me? or get me going in the right direction?

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    If you knew what a testing lab was then I would probably get answers to my questions. professional to professional. Instead, all I am getting is reasons to not go out on my own and try to make a little money for my family. And not even reasons because, well frankly I doubt the quality of this forum when it comes to ligament query's.
    All I asked for was tips.
    I have no reason to explain my aptitude with linux or shells. Or my ability to print networks, exploiting software, the easiest of all "wireless encryption", Or reverse engineering the patches put out by my organization/ or microsoft patches.
    Ok, BOFH139, thanks for the tip.
    At least there is someone here who can read a question and answer it.
    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Revenge View Post
    If you knew what a testing lab was then I would probably get answers to my questions. professional to professional. Instead, all I am getting is reasons to not go out on my own and try to make a little money for my family. And not even reasons because, well frankly I doubt the quality of this forum when it comes to ligament query's.
    All I asked for was tips.
    I have no reason to explain my aptitude with linux or shells. Or my ability to print networks, exploiting software, the easiest of all "wireless encryption", Or reverse engineering the patches put out by my organization/ or microsoft patches.
    Ok, BOFH139, thanks for the tip.
    At least there is someone here who can read a question and answer it.
    Thanks.
    Before you start spouting off about people not answering LEGITIMATE query's let me tell you about what we see here 3 or 4 times a week. Some punk comes onto the forums with some ub3rl33t moniker and introduces themselves and says that they want to break into the field of IT security and they generally have no experience. So you'll excuse us if you just happen to have posted a carbon copy of what we see every single week.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  8. #8
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,126

    Default

    In your first post you said nothing of a "Testing Lab". You said how do I get into the field of "black Box" penetration testing.

    So my question is.. How would you going about getting work to black box clients?

    I am more than happy to answer specific questions but that is as unspecific as it gets. This is a backtrack support forum and while it is true many of the developers and members of these forums are network admins/penetration testers that does not mean this is a "how to get a job" reference site.

    So First of we will move this to general IT where it belongs. Secondly black box penetration testing is by far the most intrusive and dangerous to a network. This is the real life simulation of a attacker that may only have your phone number or IP address. Hardly any company in their right state of mind is just going to hire "anyone" to preform dangerous tests on their network.

    If you really have the experience and know how you say you do then I suggest you get a resume together, adjust your attitude and research companies that are hiring for the type of job you are looking for.

  9. #9
    My life is this forum thorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Hello, I am Cold_Revenge <--- although not big on my screen name! But whats in a name right?
    Name = identity.
    So my question is.. How would you going about getting work to black box clients?
    As a one man show with no contacts this is going to be difficult. You can try magazine/newspaper/yellow pages but with no experience/references it'll be very slow to impossible.
    is that all I should do?
    If you're just starting out you shouldn't limit yourself to black box testing, or should I say "work to black box clients" which doesn't even make sense.
    small clients of 50 or so work stations I could see myself footprinting, but not enterprise networks.
    Sure. Though in a lot of environments evaluating every desktop/workstation is going to be redundant and a waste of the client's money. You'd be better off doing all servers and "an exemplar sampling of workstations" (then they can assume whatever you find on 4 or 5 machines likely applies to the majority of their machines....also makes it easier to document and report).
    how does the pricing work?
    Depends on geography, competition, etc...
    Experience isn't the issue,
    Then why are we having this discussion?
    I am a network security officer at a very large instillation with clearance. I finished college in 92
    Good for you! Too bad you can't spell yet. I know you'll wanna argue this so I'll give in by saying: yes this is a public forum where you don't know anybody and owe us nothing, and we likely shouldn't expect much. Yet if this is an example of your professionalism I wouldn't hire you. If I happened to and you delivered reports etc with that kind of thing in it, you'd definitely end up on the "do not contract to" list for friends/colleagues.
    , been TSSBI cleared for years, was a radio man on submarines. Still carry the clearance today. I work in a testing lab at a Dod facility.
    Great. This kind of leads well into the type of work you seem interested in. However, most Govt' security clearances are just a matter of paperwork (maybe a polygraph in a few situations) and I'm sure lots of people around here have interesting jobs. Thanks for sharing I guess.
    But I didn't ask about whether or not I could explain my background. I asked specific questions about getting started.. are you a qualified penetration tester?
    Yup
    Is there anything you could teach me?
    Seems likely, many others around here too
    or get me going in the right direction?
    See previous answer.
    If you knew what a testing lab was then I would probably get answers to my questions.
    Assuming this refers back to your other post: "I work in a testing lab at a Dod facility. " Who gives a flying <bleeep>? Maybe you test q-tips for the DoD.
    professional to professional.
    You've already stated you aren't a professional in the field we're discussing. If you believe you are then I'll ask again "why are we having this discussion?"
    Instead, all I am getting is reasons to not go out on my own and try to make a little money for my family.
    If you've decided to do it, then do it. Why bother asking us questions. If you haven't decided then be prepared to be told that what you're considering isn't practical. It's a valid answer whether you like it or not.
    And not even reasons because, well frankly I doubt the quality of this forum when it comes to ligament query's.
    Queries belong to ligament?
    All I asked for was tips.
    The tips are: 1) Get some experience with a partner/company who is known and can actually help build your credibility in the industry, or 2) Go out on your own as an unknown and flop.
    I have no reason to explain my aptitude with linux or shells.
    Fine we'll assume you know nothing then.
    Or my ability to print networks,
    Print networks a lot?
    exploiting software, the easiest of all "wireless encryption", Or reverse engineering the patches put out by my organization
    If your organization puts out a patch why would you need to reverse engineer it?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

    I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

  10. #10
    Jenkem Addict imported_wyze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    Thorin = Thorough
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •