Thread: Could one of the Moderators/Seniors look at this

Default Could one of the Moderators/Seniors look at this

Is this something that could be helpfull?
    Thanks
    House Keeping
    For the most part, the BackTrack3 install does a pretty good job, however there are some tweaks and fixes we need to make in order to to call this "Finished"

Continue reducing write cycles:
    Edit your /etc/fstab using your favorite editor (vi, nano, kedit) and add the following lines to the bottom of the file.

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
    tmpfs /var /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
    tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
    (delete the space betwen /var and /tmp in the second line)

**Note: This places all your log files in a temporary location in system RAM. This means that your logs will not exist after a reboot. If you need to diagnose something, be sure to comment these lines out in order to check logs.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Unless I am mistaken (doubt it) but this was taken from the eeepc install tutorial on I-hacked.com

I will say this I have not tried using this method however it appears that some one else has used their guide and had some trouble see:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=12128

Again this tutorial is for the eeepc if you are trying install to this then use the tutorials found here and the wiki for it.
    They are better and proven to work
    plus there is a support base here for it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Developer

I agree with archangel.amael. Not to say those other sites don't know what they are doing but this is the backtrack comm. Also I am totally opposed to the hard drive install on the eeepc so I guess I have a biased opinion. I think its just an silly thing to do when you can boot from sdhc. My sdhc card has 10 gigs of free space after all my apps and a monster word list. On top of that if I fudge something up all I have to do is wipe my changes partiton and I'm back to normal.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    On top of that if I fudge something up all I have to do is wipe my changes partiton and I'm back to normal.
    And this is probably the best part about the whole deal.

I think it is only a matter of time that something will get messed up and its a simple click and delete and its back to new!
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default Changes directory ?

This is not the first time I have seen reference to this but all my experience is from Slack RH MD Ubuntu and dont remeber a changes partion/directory on those. is this because your using a live install instead of a "real" install?

Quote Originally Posted by krymsunmortis View Post
    This is not the first time I have seen reference to this but all my experience is from Slack RH MD Ubuntu and dont remeber a changes partion/directory on those. is this because your using a live install instead of a "real" install?
    Basically a live install is a non-changeable type of installation designed to be run from from a non-changeable medium.
    What the changes partition and changes bootcode is doing is telling the OS that it can write those changes to a specific place so as they are available on the next boot.

Yes the changes partition is something that you will see in a live situation not a real install, if it was a real install then the filesystem is writeable/changeable so would never be needed.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you that makes since. Now to go see if I any responses on how to real install this to my EEE or figure it out my self and let others know.