Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: All-In-One Connection Manager

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    15

    Talking All-In-One Connection Manager

    I'm looking for a Windows connection manager that can assign a different connection to a specific application and to also auto assign to a connection when one failed.


    Assign a different connection to a specific application, Example:

    LAN1 = App1
    LAN2 = App2
    Wifi1 = App3
    Wifi2 = App4
    Cell Phone Modem = App5


    Auto Assign Example:

    LAN1 = Priority 1
    LAN2 = Priority 2
    Wifi1 = Priority 3
    Wifi2 = Priority 4
    Cell Phone Modem = Priority 5

    If Priority 1 failed, it would auto assign to Priority 2, then if Priority 2 failed it auto assign to Priority 3...then so on. In XP and Vista only one connection can be use at a time, if that connection failed then the whole network is disconnected even if you have multiple connections. Dead or alive it's stuck on that connection.



    I'm Using XP Pro SP3, and Vista. Sure hope some experts can help me out, thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    i dont think its possible under windows, something similar is network bonding

    network bonding can be done in linux, pfsense is a good firewall distro to look into

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Yea I figure that, I asked this question on a lot of diff forums and no one seem to know.


    Too tough, hope they come out with a solution for this later on.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisticuffs View Post
    Yea I figure that, I asked this question on a lot of diff forums and no one seem to know.


    Too tough, hope they come out with a solution for this later on.
    I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but it's very close.
    Code:
    
    Connection Manager – Provides single interface to users for managing and initiating connections, and viewing connection status.
    You have to contact them to request a product demo I can't recommend the application as I've never used it.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

  5. #5
    Senior Member Thorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Green Dome
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisticuffs View Post
    I'm looking for a Windows connection manager that can assign a different connection to a specific application and to also auto assign to a connection when one failed.


    Assign a different connection to a specific application, Example:

    LAN1 = App1
    LAN2 = App2
    Wifi1 = App3
    Wifi2 = App4
    Cell Phone Modem = App5


    Auto Assign Example:

    LAN1 = Priority 1
    LAN2 = Priority 2
    Wifi1 = Priority 3
    Wifi2 = Priority 4
    Cell Phone Modem = Priority 5

    If Priority 1 failed, it would auto assign to Priority 2, then if Priority 2 failed it auto assign to Priority 3...then so on. In XP and Vista only one connection can be use at a time, if that connection failed then the whole network is disconnected even if you have multiple connections. Dead or alive it's stuck on that connection.



    I'm Using XP Pro SP3, and Vista. Sure hope some experts can help me out, thanks.
    IBM/Lenovo makes just such an a connection manager called the "ThinkAdvantage Access Connections". It works wonderfully and seamlessly. I use it on two different Thinkpads with XP Professional SP2. I don't know whether it will work with other hardware, but you should be able to download it from Lenovo and try it.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    IBM/Lenovo makes just such an a connection manager called the "ThinkAdvantage Access Connections". It works wonderfully and seamlessly. I use it on two different Thinkpads with XP Professional SP2. I don't know whether it will work with other hardware, but you should be able to download it from Lenovo and try it.
    I just tried this and it won't run on my HP laptop, maybe its for IBM-Lenovo only. When you say it works wonderfully and seamlessly is that for "Assign a different connection to a specific application" or "Auto Assign when when the connection failed" or both?

  7. #7
    Member The_Denv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisticuffs View Post
    I just tried this and it won't run on my HP laptop, maybe its for IBM-Lenovo only. When you say it works wonderfully and seamlessly is that for "Assign a different connection to a specific application" or "Auto Assign when when the connection failed" or both?
    I have never used such a program but from what Thorn said he basically gave you the answer to your question. He told you the program name "ThinkAdvantage Access Connections", look at this software and find reviews..maybe even a video on youtube showing you what it can do. You might find comments or keywords within those reviews that may help you find that particular software for HP related hardware.

    From what Ive heard [hearsay] about HP hardware/firmware etc...it's not that good for customizing.

  8. #8
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .lonewolf View Post
    I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but it's very close.
    Code:
    
    Connection Manager[/URL] – Provides single interface to users for managing and initiating connections, and viewing connection status.
    You have to contact them to request a product demo I can't recommend the application as I've never used it.

    I've contacted them and requested a demo and still haven't got a respond yet.

  9. #9
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    23

    Default

    is there such a tool that will allow you to connect to two different wireless networks with two different pieces of hardware and actually use both?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Thorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Green Dome
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisticuffs View Post
    I just tried this and it won't run on my HP laptop, maybe its for IBM-Lenovo only. When you say it works wonderfully and seamlessly is that for "Assign a different connection to a specific application" or "Auto Assign when when the connection failed" or both?
    It does both.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •