Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kismet without GPS

Just burned his ISO

Default Kismet without GPS

I was wondering if I could use Kismet to find a location of an AP without having GPS and instead of using GPS I could get my coordinates from Google Earth. Or can Kismet just tell me what direction it is in and how far away

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by hack2009 View Post
    I was wondering if I could use Kismet to find a location of an AP without having GPS and instead of using GPS I could get my coordinates from Google Earth. Or can Kismet just tell me what direction it is in and how far away
    Kismet does not tell you where the AP is using the GPS, it logs where you were when it detected the AP.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Kismet will not tell you any location data without a GPS. Kismet will not give you location data of any AP, even with a GPS. Rather it will record where the GPS location was when it saw 802.11 traffic. (Presumably, both the GPS and the device running Kismet are in the same place.)

You might be able to do triangulation to determine the location of a given AP, but that is RF direction finding, and has nothing to to with Kismet.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

im sorry i though it gives you an approx. location of how far away the ap is

how would you do the triangulation

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by hack2009 View Post
    im sorry i though it gives you an approx. location of how far away the ap is

how would you do the triangulation
    That approximation is merely that, an approximation. With Multipath reflections and all other kinds of interference, that approximation is pretty much meaningless.

As for how to do triangulation, I believe Mr. Google knows how.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

A full survey 360° around AP using strong and weak cards then use KNSGEM II to determine approximate location.
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieFire View Post
    A full survey 360° around AP using strong and weak cards then use KNSGEM II to determine approximate location.
    doesn't that require GPS?

There is not point in linking Kismet with Google Maps/Earth if you don't have GPS because Google will not know where you are.

The only real way of location the AP is if you use the signal strength gauge and a directional aerial to triangulate it, but that going to be very hard with out more a min of 3 system doing the same but not imposable.

Edit:
    */ Already said, post this before seeing the post posts, must remember to refresh before posting */

Why do you need GPS to know where your AP is? Did you misplace it or something?

Yikes.....
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast