Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing bt3 beta on hdd...

Default installing bt3 beta on hdd...

has anyone successfuly installed bt3 beta on the hard drive?....
    after selecting a mount point, clicked install, but I reboot and only have my xp installation...

thanks

i have installed it a few times..
    are u using vmware? or u doin a direct install? if ur doing direct did u partition?

Just burned his ISO

I can totally help you out on this one, just went through it multiple times. First off get yourself bt3usb. Next find out your partitions on your harddive for me and i can give you step by step to have a successful install with dualbooting xp and backtrack using lilo to boot both.

yes I'm doing a direct install on a hdd... I have partitioned my disk.. and when I'm installing from bt3, I only have /mnt/sda3, and /mnt/sda5, I selected sda5, but nothing happens.. :0(
    ohh and I'm installing it from a CD not from usb

ok.. it seems to work the install only now I get a warning!! the (MBR) of /dev/sda will be overwritten. if you use /de/sda to boot existing OS, it will not work anymore. only Slax will boot from this device. Be careful!
    is it save to continue?... has anyone, has a dual boot scenario with bt3 and windows?

thanks

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by mia_tech View Post
    yes I'm doing a direct install on a hdd... I have partitioned my disk.. and when I'm installing from bt3, I only have /mnt/sda3, and /mnt/sda5, I selected sda5, but nothing happens.. :0(
    ohh and I'm installing it from a CD not from usb

ok.. it seems to work the install only now I get a warning!! the (MBR) of /dev/sda will be overwritten. if you use /de/sda to boot existing OS, it will not work anymore. only Slax will boot from this device. Be careful!
    is it save to continue?... has anyone, has a dual boot scenario with bt3 and windows?

thanks
    Ok, I have no clue how your install went so i'm just going to start at the beginning as if you were going to place the backtrack live cd in. Lets say you have windows partition and thats it. I cant give links for certain programs you'll need for my way of getting you going cause i'm a new member so i'll try my best. Save parted and qtparted straight to /root/
    parted
    hxxp://mirrors.dotsrc.org/slackware/slackware/extra/parted/parted-1.8.7-i486-1.tgz
    qtparted
    hxxp://ftp.cgu.edu.tw/Mirror/linuxpackages/Slackware-10.1/X11/QTParted/qtparted-0.4.4-i486-1asz.tgz
    next in a terminal run
    pkgtool
    select current directory and yes to install both programs. After that you want to unmount anything on sda
    type "mount" in a terminal and you will see whats mounted. Now to unmount things type "umount /dev/sda1" or whatever sda you have. Once everything is unmounted, run in terminal "qtparted". It will throw up a graphical partitioner displaying your sda drive and your cd drive which is mounted with backtrack. Now check out your partitions. From here i'm just going to give out some random sda numbers for your partitions cause you didnt clarify what your partition table looks like. Lets say sda3 is your windows xp partition. sda5 will be your linux partition. Now i dont know what file system you formatted your linux but i used ext 3. So if you want to go and reformat sda5 with ext 3 and get rid of whatever install you did, then go and do that and make sure you click commit to apply changes. Once thats done, close that and open up another terminal. What we have to do next is remount that sda5 (linux partition) so we can have physical access to write to it. So enter this if your linux partition is sda5
    mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5
    ok now go to down to the kde symbol > Backtrack > Backtrack install
    ok now it should throw up a window displaying choices for your install. Sources should be set auto to the cd drive, install backtrack to should point to /mnt/sda5 (your linux partition that we just remounted), write new mbr should point to /dev/sda, installation method should be real, and make sure to uncheck the mbr restore because we will use lilo to dual boot with. Now click install and once completed reboot
    You should startup with lilo that takes you to backtrack. Once you are back into backtrack open a terminal and type liloconfig. I dont have it in front of me but i think i did simple install to mbr. Once thats completed now we need to check your info of what was sent to mbr. so in terminal type
    nano /etc/lilo.conf
    i think thats the write address cause i'm in windows right now, so bare with me.
    once that comes up scroll down to the windows configuration and make sure it points to your correct partition which we said it was /dev/sda3 (Example)
    I also changed the label from "windows" to "WindowsXP" or however you like it to be displayed in lilo. Next check out your linux partition info, should point to /dev/sda5 (Example again). The label is prolly going to say "linux" so i changed it to "BackTrack_3".
    Next I also changed the timeout time down to "60" which is equivalent to 6 seconds so it will boot straight to windows by itself if i dont scroll down to backtrack. Well save all that and get out of there. If you dont know how to get out press cntrl+x, and say yes to save changes and click enter to save it to lilo.conf
    Now when thats done in terminal enter "lilo"
    Should say added windowsxp and backtrack or whatever labels you put for them. Now reboot and you should have lilo start up and allow you option for windows or backtrack. Wow, hope that helped, if not give me more info cause you left me black.

I came to a stop during the install of qtparted.... it doesn't seem to recognize the "make" command after doing ./configure, I tried with sudo, and still didn't work... any help appreciated, if my merory don't fail me last version of bt, came with qtparted... don't know why wasn't included in this one

thanks

Just burned his ISO

go to my links and save qtparted and parted tar files to your /root then open a terminal and enter
    pkgtool

follow the instructions and you should have no problems

Just burned his ISO

Default Having some trouble

Hi

Thank you for that great tutorial. it was so easy for me to understand and follow, and i used some of other tutorials also. i am having some trouble with setting up the lilo though. i am trying to dual boot with vista and backtrack 3. This is what my lilo looks like after i tried to add the vista parts:

boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 60
    #bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    #vga = 769,771/773/792
    vga = 769
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = current
    label = BackTrack3
    read-only
    #Vista
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Hasta-la-Vista
    table = /dev/sda

When i run:

bt~#lilo

i get this messege

Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
    Added Backtrack3 *
    Added Hasta-la-Vista
    One warning was issued

Now. when i try to boot vista, i get as far as the loading screen (the little bar moving along the bottom) and then it wont go any further. have i gone something in the lilo to cause this? and if so,,, could you please tell me how to put it right.

regards

Tim

Have now fixed the warning problem, but still cannot get vista to boot properly. it must be something i have done to the windows partition. sorry for troubling you all

Just burned his ISO

First off i did my install off xp / backtrack. Your lilo looks correct. Mine only differs with the backtrack "root = current" mine actually points to the backtrack partition ex: "root = /dev/hda2". I'm stumped on your problem cause obviously vista starts up but freezes at a certain point. Could there have been a problem when you may have resized your vista partition? Try searching for others dual booting with Vista to see if they had problems. My install went smooth on a computer with one partion for windows xp so i dont know how much vista differs.

There are TONs of tutorials already showing you how to install Back|Track to your HDD. If you bothered searching the forums you wouldnt need to post a thread like this.

Please use the search function man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast