Thread: Wl110

Just burned his ISO

Default Wl110

Hey guys hows things, ive had a quick look around and i cant find anything helpful on the Compaq WL110 pcmcia, i have backtrack2 dual booted after following the video and transcript, thanks to all those that made it so easy

im trying to find any info as to config the card to work with kismet, its simple plug and play in windows, it can listen on the wireless assistant in the internet folder, i can locate my network, but even when i supply my wep key it wont contect, any light as to why this is happening or if theres something im overlooking would be greatly appreciated lads.

cheers.

Kas.

Just burned his ISO

ive tryed to make - make install the orinoco_cs driver for linux, it says its already installed and running, when i go into the internet section in the popup menu, click the wifi tool there, it locates my network, i try to put in my wep key and it says connecting... failed. it has me a little baffled to be honest,

so heres what i do know, the card is working, backtrack2 can see the network, but for some reason i cant connect to it and i cant run kismet.. have i over looked something to get it in gear?

i hope someone can help.
    thanks,

kas.

Developer

you should try a manual connection from the command line.

bt~#ifconfig (wlan0 or your interface here) up
    bt~#iwconfig wlan0 essid (yours here) key (7846287364782 < yours here)
    bt~#dhcpcd wlan0

sub your interface for all the wlan0

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    you should try a manual connection from the command line.

bt~#ifconfig (wlan0 or your interface here) up
    bt~#iwconfig wlan0 essid (yours here) key (7846287364782 < yours here)
    bt~#dhcpcd wlan0

sub your interface for all the wlan0
    to be honest, im a total noob at the commands, i get where your coming from with the essidm the key being my wep, but on the top line, wlan0 or your interface... what would that be.. the name of the router or my card? cheers for the quick reply.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kastrosama View Post
    to be honest, im a total noob at the commands, i get where your coming from with the essidm the key being my wep, but on the top line, wlan0 or your interface... what would that be.. the name of the router or my card? cheers for the quick reply.
    Yes wlan0 or ath0 etc are names for wireless cards.

I would suggest that you read a bit about basics before you continue.
    Read here:http://wirelessdefence.org/Contents/...ssCommands.htm
    This website has lots of good info on the different commands that are used for wireless cards, how to connect to wep, wpa, monitor mode etc.
    there is even a pdf you can download if needed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

It's the name of the card. Technically, it's the name of the card's interface. That's what pureh@te was saying when he said: "sub your interface for all the wlan0" In other words, if your interface name is "wlan0", then use that. If not, substitute the appropriate name. e.g. "eth0", "eth1", "wlan1", etc.

A word of caution: If you're a Linux newbie, -and it appears that you are- and don't know things like the interface names, or how to work the command line, then you would probably have an easier time with things if you cut your baby teeth on another distro such as ubuntu. Backtrack is NOT designed for beginners, it is specifically designed advance users who are using it for pen testing.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

thansk guys, ill have a look at the commands page, as for ubuntu i take it its a live boot cd thats downloadable? as for my WL110, i didnt see anything on the site about it, is it an unpopular card or am i just the unlucky fool that cant config it? i also have a netgear ma111v2 usb dongle, a belkin f5d8010 and a linksys wpc55ag..

from what i can make out they all wont work..

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

thansk guys, ill have a look at the commands page, as for ubuntu i take it its a live boot cd thats downloadable? as for my WL110, i didnt see anything on the site about it, is it an unpopular card or am i just the unlucky fool that cant config it? i also have a netgear ma111v2 usb dongle, a belkin f5d8010 and a linksys wpc55ag..
    from what i can make out they all wont work..
    I would have to agree that it would be wise to try and learn as much as you can about linux using an easier distro like ubuntu. Yes you can get a live cd
    here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD this page will give you lots of info on ubuntu live cd's help etc.

If you want to stick around here on the forums fine however I will warn you that in order to gain ground and recieve help you will have to do the leg work your self. not many people will spoonfeed you.
    As for your cards and weather or not they work in *nix you will have to google for that info.

good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

im not expecting to be spoonfed, sure how would i learn anything that way... the main reason i asked is i couldnt find out anything about my card here, ive done some googling over the last week and found that the card is supported in ubuntu and oter linux based OS.. as i posted earlier the orinoco_cs driver was the driver needed, which is in bk2.. im just stuck at a dead end here... im going to read more..

when i open kismet it says my card is in monitor mode as far as i can remember.. that would hardly be the problem would it?

thanks for the help guys.. if you can think of anything else let me know,

kas.

when i open kismet it says my card is in monitor mode as far as i can remember.. that would hardly be the problem would it?
    No, that isn't a problem. You need monitor mode for kismet to work properly.

The WL110 is a rebranded ORiNOCO Classic card (either Silder or Gold depending on the encryption level.) As such it should work with any driver for the ORiNOCO Classic cards, such as the orinoco_cs.

All-in-all, it sounds like you're close, Once you determine the correct name of the card, and you should be able to connect.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.