Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use proxychains.

Default How to use proxychains.

Ok this is a basic tutorial. (Needs TOR to run.)
    Now if you don't know already proxychains allows tunneling TCP or DNS trough proxies. It supports HTTP, socks4 and socks5 proxy servers that can be chained together.
    Proxychains is used to:
    -hide your ip
    -run programs trough proxy servers
    -acces your home network from the outside trought reverse proxy.
    Ok now Backtrack already has it installed so we are going to skip that part and go the the configuration.
    To configure Proxychains just open a terminal and type in : "nano /etc/proxychains.conf" as you can see we have some features about how the program chains proxies:
    -dynamic_chain: takes the proxies in the order you added them and skips dead proxies.
    -random_chain: takes the proxies from the list in a random order.
    -strict_chain: takes the proxies in the order you added them like the dynamic_chain except this chaining option does not skip dead proxies.

Ok after you pick up the chain option you need to add proxies, if you scrool down proxychains.conf you will find something like this :
    Code:
    # ProxyList format
    #       type  host  port [user pass]
    #       (values separated by 'tab' or 'blank')
    This tells you how the proxies should be added to the list, you can separate type from host and the rest just by adding a black space or by hitting the "tab" key.

Than you will see the proxylist where we can add our proxies:
    Code:
    [ProxyList]
    # add proxy here ...
    # meanwile
    # defaults set to "tor"
    socks4 	127.0.0.1 9050
    Ok after the last line "socks4 127.0.0.1 9050" (do not DELETE that!) we add our proxies. We can find those with a simple search on google.
    After we finished our configuration, we save the file. Now it's time to run the program.

Code:
    proxyresolv targethost.com
    (this command is used to resolve host names via proxy or tor)

Code:
    proxychains firefox site.com
    (this command tells the proxychains program that after he passed trough the proxies you added in the proxychains.conf file to connect to the "site.com" via firefox)

Code:
    proxychains telnet target
    (same as previous definition, only this time it connects trought telnet to the target)

Well as I specified at the beginning it is a basic tutorial. Hope you like it!
    P.S. Sorry if I didn't type all the words correct, I was in a hurry.
    Last edited by sickness; 08-14-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: How to use proxychains.

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    P.S. Sorry if I didn't type all the words correct, I was in a hurry.
    Then double check it.
    Also I did not read the guide but looked over it. One thing I noticed is that your commands are not wrapped in the [code] tags
    You should do this at a minimum to help define them.

Code:
     # example code box

Developer

Just to sort of echo what Archangel.Ameal has said, there is no need or reason to be in a hurry when writing a "How To". I do appreciate the time you have taken to research and document these subjects however when writing a tutorial you need to make sure of a few things:

1. Everything is spelled right
    2. Everything works
    3. You did not leave out any steps (no matter how dumb you think they are)
    4. All code is properly formatted so lazy people can copy and paste
    5. Everything works

When we write tutorials they are copied and hot linked all over the internet and sometimes these little pieces of writing are our "reputation" so its important to be as thorough, clear and proffesional as possible.

I second Archangel.Amael's advice about the code boxes. It will make the tutorial easier to read and give it a more organized aspect.
    Last edited by Snayler; 02-26-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Is an SSH Chain possible with this procedure?

I don't think so, from what I have read it supports socks4, socks5, http so I'm not sure about ssh.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    I don't think so, from what I have read it supports socks4, socks5, http so I'm not sure about ssh.
    You can tunnel anything over proxychains if you need to. SSH is a breeze to do it with. It's obscure to find so I'll give a bit of a hint:
    Code:
    -o ProxyCommand
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

nice tut.

Easy to read, easy to understand. Good for introduction to tunneling w bt4
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-23-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Dear all,

thank you,

can you make more details because i don't understand.

make it with live example.

best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    You can tunnel anything over proxychains if you need to. SSH is a breeze to do it with. It's obscure to find so I'll give a bit of a hint:
    Code:
    -o ProxyCommand
    Personally i would never use ProxyCommand, if you take a look at how it works youll notice that its just using netcat to get the job done, this can be usefull in some situations, but for the most part i wouldn't trust it, especially if your using keys etc etc.

As for tunneling via proxychains there are a few things to note.

#1 being that if your using a socks5 you dont need to resolve, as proxychains will do a remote resolve for you.

#2 being if i have a remote host running all i need to do is this "ssh -D 9000 me@whatever.com" .. then i change the proxychains.conf to "socks5 127.0.0.1 9000" .. and then i can do this "proxychains telnet google.com" .. or even ........ "proxychains ssh -w 0:0 me@nexthost.com" and all will work fine. "-w 0:0 is vpn fyi"

#3 being that if you make a new directory and copy the proxychains.conf to it whatever you change it to will override the /etc/proxychains.conf which is VERY useful if you intend to chain a bunch of things but dont want to write it into your config.

Hope that helped a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast