Thread: Ettercap ./conf problem

Just burned his ISO

Default Ettercap ./conf problem

I am using Backtrack 3 and can't seem to get to ettercap's config file. here is where i'm going

cd /usr/local/etc

and the i go into the directory

dir

and under the directory I see a whole bunch of files. most of them are in white text and then some of them are in blue text. The etter.conf file is in white text and when i try to access it by typing in etter.conf I get

-bash: ./etter.conf: Permission denied. It seems that all of the other files that are in white text do the same thing. I can access the ones in blue text. And yes I am in root. I thought ettercap came ready usable in backtrack? I even tried the same thing on Backtrack 2 and get the same results? Any suggestions?

Maybe you should try use a text editor first and learn how Linux works mhmm?
    Code:
    ~ bt # nano etter.conf
    Oh mai gawd can i have a green hat now when i just told you how to open a file
    with a texteditor that is built-in in BackTrack and of course also Slackware?

PS: You use F2 or CTRL+X to save your edited file. CTRL+X will just exit if you didn't edit it.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Are you trying to edit the onf fle? If so, use a cmd line editor to do so, i.e.

Code:
    nano etter.conf
    or just use Konqueror to navigate to it then open with kwrite

EDIT: Max, you're obviously a faster typer than me 2day
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

Okay I tried typing in nano etter.conf and there was nothing in the file to edit, here is what is brought up, any ideas?

GNU nano 2.0.6 File: etter.conf

[ New File ]
    ^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
    ^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text^T To Spell

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLO6969 View Post
    I am using Backtrack 3 and can't seem to get to ettercap's config file. here is where i'm going
    I thought ettercap came ready usable in backtrack? I even tried the same thing on Backtrack 2 and get the same results? Any suggestions?
    It appears that you are a newbie with no experience with using linux BT or even forums for that matter.
    see your other post if you are confused:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11214

You first need to know that not all things in Linux "work out of the box"
    So I would suggest that you try to do some reading and then do some more reading. Then when you think you got it read again!
    Some places to read would be here on this forum
    Then search google for the slackbook pdf
    Then when you are done with that read about the different tools that you are trying to use. This will save you some headaches as well as being thrown in the "idiots corner" !

EDIT: Max, you're obviously a faster typer than me 2day
    Maxe Legend is crouching tiger, hidden dragon !
    Waiting to pounce on newbies lol!!
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Okay I tried typing in nano etter.conf and there was nothing in the file to edit, here is what is brought up, any ideas?
    Don't use BT. Get known to how Linux works before coming back to BT. If you don't understand the basics you can't really use BT, you won't learn to run, before you can walk either.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Okay I tried typing in nano etter.conf and there was nothing in the file to edit, here is what is brought up, any ideas?...*snip*
    Just like you were previously told, if you don't know what your doing use a more easier OS [Linux], like Ubuntu or something. This will let you get use to the Linux environment. Since Im happy today ... the problem was that you opened 'nano' in the root directory, you created a 'new' etter.conf' file. Make sure your in the right directory, /usr/local/****/

Im not spoonfeeding you as its clear that you don't know what your doing, so the Asterix's are there for you to find out what is the next directory that etter.conf is in. If you even tried searching you should have found your answer by now.

Just burned his ISO

Okay I feel like a retard when I went to cd /usr/loca/etc
    insteat of entering nano etter.conf I was just putting etter.conf

Today, i had to edit etter.conf . I found it in 30 secs by searching and then i used
    nano to kwrite to edit it. I could have found it in console too though.

@"OriginalThreadMaker" --> If you can't even find and edit a file, then you shouldn't
    be using BackTrack as doing such a simple thing, is stuff you should already know.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]