Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting to XP not BackTrack

Just burned his ISO

Default Booting to XP not BackTrack

here we go..

What i'm trying to accomplish:
    Dualboot XP and BackTrack3 Beta

What i've done:

I've gotten the live CD to work, Have a partition for XP (sda1 with XP installed) and a Linux partition (currently ext3, but i've tried with ext2 too) with Backtrack3 beta installed(sda3) and another partition for xpstorage(sda5)

alright, so i have tried several different ways of getting this to work. At first I tried a couple of different Dual Boot guides. Using Both Real and Live install (in the GUI as i'm pretty much a linuxnoob.. tried BT2 a while ago)

what happend was that everything booted directly too XP. so i figured something was wrong and i decided to try something else out. I reformatted and reinstalled Real. and decided not to mess with Lilo at all, That way Only Backtrack would boot right.. at least i thought so.. but again I get directly booted to XP.

Now if anyone knows any more info i should post to help me get some answers on what to do to hopefully get it working please let me know.

Thanks in advance. .

If you're not using Lilo then what boot manager are you using?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

to be honest i have no idea.. might be lilo it's using but i have not set it up in any way. when i chose the "real" install the installation finished and the window told me to press the close button and so i did.. then i rebooted since nothing else happened and it booted to xp.. maybe i should post my lilo.conf?

Why the hell are you using BT? Use a beginner friendly distro.

And i think you will be a member of the club soon.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

So you installed XP & BT, then reformatted the drive and installed just XP, and now you're wondering why XP boots?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

where are you getting the steps from? what guide are you using?
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Prolly from just reading half of a guide at a time.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Why the hell are you using BT? Use a beginner friendly distro.

And i think you will be a member of the club soon.
    I have been using ubuntu for a couple of months actually and I think it's boring.. so decided to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin
    So you installed XP & BT, then reformatted the drive and installed just XP, and now you're wondering why XP boots?
    I had xp installed.. installed BT didn't work.. reformatted the Linuxpartition and installed again.. using another guide. and that didn't work either.

Ubuntu is not a real distro.

Do yourself a favour and learn Linux basics on how stuff works and why. There are more appropriate distros out there to learn Linux.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

OObOOntOO is a lot easier to use than BT. A lot easier to install as well. I'm not sure, i've never had any problems installing it. Try BT3 maybe?
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast