Thread: Backtrack 3 on external HD and a few other questions..

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 3 on external HD and a few other questions..

Backtrack 3 on external HD and a few other questions.

Hello i'm new to the forums and i have a questions about backtrack. You should also know i plan on running it on the eeePC and i have novice and intermediate experience with Linux. I have looked at just about every thread on the eeepc in this forum but these are some questions i have not had answered yet.

1) I plan on installing it on a external HD that runs off USB. the HD is a 2.5" 20GB form a laptop. Would that be a problem?. And is there a guide on how to do this?

2) i Plan on buying one for new egg the item number is N82E16834220246 so you can look it up cause i cant post links yet . Will i be able to put the wireless card into monitoring mode?

3) What does not work right out the box?

thanks, i hope my questions are clear and to the point if i missed something jut ask.

Why aren't you starting with the basics?

If you are a novice using Linux, you shouldn't try to run it on an eeePc, since it won't work out of the box.
    Also if you aren't willing to do some research of your own you shouldn't try to install and use BT.
    But here is a hint:
    There is a board where compatible and non compatible hardware is listed here.
    Even if the card shouldn't be listed in there, you could have a look which chipset it has, do some research about which chipsets the compatible cards have and then you'd know.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by Roen hayden View Post
    Backtrack 3 on external HD and a few other questions.

Hello i'm new to the forums and i have a questions about backtrack. You should also know i plan on running it on the eeePC and i have novice and intermediate experience with Linux. I have looked at just about every thread on the eeepc in this forum but these are some questions i have not had answered yet.

1) I plan on installing it on a external HD that runs off USB. the HD is a 2.5" 20GB form a laptop. Would that be a problem?.
    Shouldn't be, assuming the eeePC can boot from USB.
    And is there a guide on how to do this?
    Yes, try searching.
    2) i Plan on buying one for new egg the item number is N82E16834220246 so you can look it up cause i cant post links yet . Will i be able to put the wireless card into monitoring mode?
    Google is your friend, plus there are numerous threads on this topic and the BT wiki contains a hardware compatibility list.
    3) What does not work right out the box?
    No comment.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

So do i download the USb/DVD version or the live CD version?

Moving thread to BT3 General forum.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Developer

I have a eeepc and here is what I did to set it up.

Got a 4 gig sdhc card because the eeepc can boot from sd. This is more desirable than booting from usb because nothing sticks out. For that the dvd/usb version works well. I split the 4 gig card up. 1 gig for bt3 and 3.0 gigs for a save changes partition. I have a 16 gig on order however it has not yet arrived. I left the xandros system on there as not to void the warranty.

I also got a two gig ram chip for 49.00 bucks and put that in. Now my eeepc is smoking fast.

Compiz fusion works out of the box. In fact the only problems I ve had are 1) I had to reinstall the madwifi drivers with the eeepc patch in order to get the card working properly and 2) I have yet to get the web cam going however I am on top of it.

Every thing else works great with now extra mods.

Just burned his ISO

ok another thing, can you put the WIFI Card into monitoring mode? And what 1G ram stick do you recommend?

And a response to KMDave if no one dared to try anything.. Where would we be today?