Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hydra works randomly

Just burned his ISO

Default hydra works randomly

I am having trouble getting hydra to work correctly with backtrack 2. It works 1 out of 4 times and the rest of the time when I press start, it does nothing. I am using the following options:

single target: 192.168.1.110
    port: 21 (tried specifying and not specifying)
    protocol: ftp (tried with other protocols and same thing - and yes its the de-ice pen cd so I know the ftp service is running)
    be verbose checked
    username: specifying usernames in a user.txt file
    passwords: from the backtrack wordlist.txt
    try login as password
    try empty password
    tunning number of tasks 36 (tried increasing to 66)
    exit after first pair found
    then I press start

sometimes it works, others not. Using the same options as outlined above. Any ideas?

I know this sounds obvious.
    But when choosing the wordlist for the password remember to click the corresponding radial next the the file target.

I do that a lot and it causes it to run and finish straight away.

Ok
    When you say it does nothing do you mean "nothing" as in no output is given?
    Please emphasis

Developer

If your doing disk 110 the ftp service can be looged on anonymously. If you get stuck I've done some videos in parts to help.

here http://pur3h4t3.blogspot.com/

Purehates videos are superb

Just burned his ISO

yes i have made sure i am choosing that option when using a password list. I get no output, meaning hydra is just blank. I know about the tutorial videos and you did an excellent job purehate. I hope you continue this when the level 2 disks are released.

I could be wrong but this seems more likely to be a PEBKAC than a true tool problem, it's doubtful that hydra would just do nothing and not spew out an error. Maybe I'm wrong, but honestly so you have to click start up-to 4 times to make it work given the way you've described it above, oh darn.

Have you tried checking "top" or "netstat" to see if hydra is actually doing anything after you hit start?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

I do not have to click 4 times, it just does nothing no matter how many times I click. I have to exit hydra, and then reopen it and input all the settings again. I am not complaining, as it is a free tool and it is great for a newbie like myself. Was just wondering if others have experienced the same thing or if anyone knows why it was acting that way. I will try using top to check and see if any processes are running as well as run wireshark to see if I can see any packets being sent. Thanks for the help so far.

Just burned his ISO

My router here is an Belkin46g

It has no username (or at least, I can't enter one)

I can only enter a password

Also, when I enter a wrong password I get referred to a badpassword.htm page.. Can I get around this?

Can I do this with Hydra? Because Hydra needs a username.

I tried it with Hydra but after the first or second or so checked password from my list, he gives me the "attack finished ... waiting for childs to finish" message.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizlyJee View Post

Also, when I enter a wrong password I get referred to a badpassword.htm page.. Can I get around this?
    If the answer to this question was yes would you have even posted?

I tried it with Hydra but after the first or second or so checked password from my list, he gives me the "attack finished ... waiting for childs to finish" message.
    These two statements are contradictory, which one is true?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizlyJee View Post

Did you forget the password to your router?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast