Thread: BT3 Live CD vs. USB version

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 Live CD vs. USB version

Can aynone point me in the direction of a changelog or release notes to compare which verison of backtrack has what.
    I would like to make the usb version a dvd version but I would like to know what is the difference between the two.

Thanks

Well not much, your are just able to select 2 boot options.
    Disk -> Live CD, this loads good, but i think USB is much more better
    USB -> This is way faster then the disk! And works perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
    Well not much, your are just able to select 2 boot options.
    Disk -> Live CD, this loads good, but i think USB is much more better
    USB -> This is way faster then the disk! And works perfect!
    I think he wanted to know the differences in installed software. AFAIK the dvd/usb version just has all the extra gui stuff installed, with supporting drivers. The actual applications are the same. I could be wrong though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

Really the main differences are the pxe boot cluster for john password cracking and compiz-fusion are on the usb version and not on the live cd version.

Just burned his ISO

Ok,
    Thanks for the info I'll stick with the Cd.
    I have a Macbook Pro 17" and I can't boot from the usb but I thinking of just installing it over where my Boot Camp Windows partition. If anyone as a link on how to do this.

Just burned his ISO

Would I be right in saying that the USB/DVD version also has dictionary files for password attacks?

I couldn't find a decent password file on the CD version... or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for any help.

Developer

It may be they left those out. I have all my own but i noticed the dictionary section was lacking from the pentest directory this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTy View Post
    Ok,
    Thanks for the info I'll stick with the Cd.
    I have a Macbook Pro 17" and I can't boot from the usb but I thinking of just installing it over where my Boot Camp Windows partition. If anyone as a link on how to do this.
    There are a few threads around here on BT and the new intel macs. Basically it may, or may not work. Really depends on the model of your macbook. As much as I'm a mac fanboy, they really ****ed us on the later models. 10.5 is also screwing us over on the net boot/net restore front as well. We used to be able to image multiple macs at the same time with netrestore. After 10.5 was released that function is broken. I'm sure it will be fixed, just not in time for my work's roll out of all the new machines we just ordered. We're updating all the teacher machines with macbook pros. We also had one of our middle schools just receive 100 macbooks for student mobile labs. The labs are in addition to the couple hundred the sixth grade got last year. Now we're imaging them one at a time. Fun fun fun.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69