Thread: HDD install qtparted problem resizing crashes

Just burned his ISO

Default HDD install qtparted problem resizing crashes

im trying to install backtrack on my laptop (compaq nx9010) and i'm trying to follow muts dual boot video. when i run qtparted i get something different from what muts get in the shell when it starts up:

ME:
    bt ~ # qtparted
    Warning: Unable to open /dev/hdc read-write (read-only file system). /dev/hdc has been opened read-only

when i try and resize my drive it just crashes.
    HELP!!!

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

isn't HDC the livesystem of backtrack? Does anything else show un qtparted?

do an fdisk -l

(L for list). That should show all the drives on the machine.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

/mnt/hda1 also shows but i dont seem to get very far as it just crashes.

ive searched for hours today looking for a simple easy install and cannot find anything. you helped earlier so can you help again spankdidly

And you followed everything from the wiki?

http://backtrack.offensive-security....k_to_Hard_Disk

I dunno man, the install doesn't get any easier. Is this Bt2 or Bt3?
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

im trying bt2.

didnt mention it will be a dual boot with xp home

Ah yeah, that's a bit harder I'm afraid. You can mess up your XP install running qtparted. You need to have a clean hard drive (one with nothing on it). Boot up XP, make 2 partitions, install the rest of Xp. When that's done, Run qtparted on the space that's left (might be /dev/hdb) and create 2 partitions, one swap, one ext3. I had a few problems installing BT2. It was usually not mounting or unmounting the drives

mount /dev/hdb
    umount /dev/hdb

Also, after making changes to the hard drive, I would always need to reboot and boot back off the livecd, and THEN install backtrack. So,

install xp one 1 partition
    boot into BT2
    qtparted the extra space
    create 2 partition in the extra space
    1 is swap
    1 is ext2 (or ext3)
    Commit to it
    reboot
    log back in with livecd
    install bt2 through the BT installer GUI

That's all I did and it worked. (but it was awhile ago

Just burned his ISO

are you saying then that mut's tutorial doesnt work then? i have xp installed already but assumed by watching his video that it was easy and can be done without having a clean drive.

Mut's tutorial works perfect,but if you got a problem with that, there's what you can do: run a Gparted (you can run it from ubuntu live cd), organize your hdd the way you want it (ofcourse create a swap and ext/reiserfs partitions) , then run bt2 cd. After login --->Backtrack--->miscellaneous--->backtrack instaler, you'll get a window with instalation settings, then Install. After all, check boot directory, if there is no vmlinuz file, then copy vmlinuz file from cd to boot directory. After that just reboot.

WRONG SECTION! THIS IS NOT A TUTORIAL!!!

TUTORIALS ONLY HERE!!

Moving to no0b area.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]