Thread: why kernel 2.6.21.5?

Just burned his ISO

Default why kernel 2.6.21.5?

Hello,

I realize that BT is based on SLAX and that the latest SLAX kernel is 2.6.21.5, but why doesn't BT ship with a newer kernel? Something in the 2.6.23 family would be nice. My bios has a bug in it which might be fixed in 2.6.23 or 2.6.24 which I know is not released yet.

Thanks,

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bofh1234 View Post
    Hello,

I realize that BT is based on SLAX and that the latest SLAX kernel is 2.6.21.5, but why doesn't BT ship with a newer kernel? Something in the 2.6.23 family would be nice. My bios has a bug in it which might be fixed in 2.6.23 or 2.6.24 which I know is not released yet.

Thanks,
    I dont think the developers of bt were thinking about your bios when bt was released. remeber the idea behind a public release is usually lots of users can install/use the application with little to no problems. However this is not always the case. If you are having problems with it then why not just rebuild your own kernel upgrading or downgrading to what it is you need.
    Then you could just go and d/l the tools that you need in order to have your own build of bt.

Search the forums for a tutorial "backtrack to slackware 12.0" it may be able to get you in the right direction.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I know that BT developers were not thinking of my bios problems. I don't honestly expect them too. My comment was more directed at why the developers are not using a current kernel. You think they would want something current as it adds support for new hardware, bugfixes, etc. I have read from a couple of threads that the BT kernel is not a standard kernel. I take this to mean that a person shouldn't use a slackware 12 kernel and as the reason that kernels are excluded from slapt-get updates. I don't expect the BT kernel to updated everytime a new kernel is released, but I would have at least expected 2.6.21.7 in beta3.

I am going to compile my own kernel shortly a 2.6.23.12 kernel to be exact. The question I have is can I use the .config from the BT3 beta3 usb version to compile a current kernel?

Thanks,

Developer

You can try to use the same config but the chances of it working are slim. The reason bt comes with this kernel is because this is the kernel that comes with slackware 12.0 and there was no reason to change it. The reason the kernel is excluded from updates(I bet you didnt think of this) is because alot of tools require kernel patches to work correctly.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for the information. Trying to make my own customized CD taught me how to patch the kernel (as in adding squashfs, lzma, and aufs). I shouldn't need any of these as my plans are to install beta3 to an external USB hard drive. I know I have to enable rfkill and rfkill_input. I am planning on killing isa, several filesystems (misc, xfs, reiser), token ring drivers, and possibly ide (i think my cd can use libata now). What else do I need to be on the look out for?

Thanks,