Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to boot back into Windows??

Just burned his ISO

Question How to boot back into Windows??

I partitioned my hd and set aside a cute lil 10 gigs to mess around with BT2, and of course I didn't overwrite my windows xp partition. I can still see it there under /mnt/sda1 with all of its pertinent files untouched. Also, I still see the mbr.ini, boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and all that jazz under the sda3.

However, on regular good ol' bootup, system jumps straight into BT2.. I guess I figured a menu would pop up and give me a choice as to which os I wanted to load but now I guess not...

BT2 is installed under sda2, and during install, I opted for the choice of sda for the other thing (ha I forget what it is now - the boot loader I'm assuming).. Anyway, none of it is really a problem if I can boot into windows through BT2. Unfortunately, I'm too much of a noob at this point to know either way...

Any ideas???

Post the entire contents of your

nano /etc/lilo.conf

please.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Developer

I think we should start a area on the wiki with sample files for ...
    lilo
    fstab
    xorgconfig
    kismet
    and all the other ones so we have something to reference to when people ask.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I think the problem is he created a 'cute' partition. Obviously this is not the correct partition type.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

lol. In Soviet Lilo, the partition edits YOU!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    lol. In Soviet Lilo, the partition edits YOU!
    You need to stop reading /.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You need to stop reading /.
    haha I know! It's the phrase of the week. Next week it'll be something different. Stay tuned!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

When you will boot into BT2 do the following steps:-
    open the terminal window and type
    nano /etc/lilo.conf

the edit the lilo.conf file as below:-
    * lba32
    * boot /dev/hda
    * #message = /boot/boot_message.txt (we may not have this file)
    * prompt
    * timeout=1200
    * change-rules
    * reset
    * vga=791

* #linux bootable partition config begins
    * image = /boot/vmlinuz
    * root = /dev/hda4
    * label = backtrack2
    * read-only
    * #linux bootable partition ends

* (note: you can get your bootsplash back by giving the command "makesplash" and adding an initrd line to your lilo.conf. When you do this make sure /boot is mounted)

* #windows bootable partition config begins
    * other = /dev/hda1
    * label = WindowsXP
    * table = /dev/hda
    * #windows bootable partition config ends

Now to save changes type:-
    lilo -v
    exit
    (And now reboot)
    :cool:" i had rather be hated for wat i am than to be loved for wat i am not ......":p

Quote Originally Posted by sin_gage View Post
    When you will boot into BT2 do the following steps:-
    open the terminal window and type
    nano /etc/lilo.conf

the edit the lilo.conf file as below:-
    * lba32
    * boot /dev/hda
    * #message = /boot/boot_message.txt (we may not have this file)
    * prompt
    * timeout=1200
    * change-rules
    * reset
    * vga=791

* #linux bootable partition config begins
    * image = /boot/vmlinuz
    * root = /dev/hda4
    * label = backtrack2
    * read-only
    * #linux bootable partition ends

* (note: you can get your bootsplash back by giving the command "makesplash" and adding an initrd line to your lilo.conf. When you do this make sure /boot is mounted)

* #windows bootable partition config begins
    * other = /dev/hda1
    * label = WindowsXP
    * table = /dev/hda
    * #windows bootable partition config ends

Now to save changes type:-
    lilo -v
    exit
    (And now reboot)
    Thats a good lilo.conf for a dual boot sin_gage.

Unless he has an sda type HD..then he'll change all of your hda references to sda.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    Thats a good lilo.conf for a dual boot sin_gage.

Unless he has an sda type HD..then he'll change all of your hda references to sda.
    OKay my fault xploitz, and when editing the config file change the hda or sda according the the mount name displayed in Kconquerer.
    :cool:" i had rather be hated for wat i am than to be loved for wat i am not ......":p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast