Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wlassistant 0.5.7

Default wlassistant 0.5.7

Well i am STILL having troubles connecting to my WPA network.

I have read every thread on wpa_supplicant and tbh i am getting nowhere fast.

So i read that there was a GUI - i thought to myself WOOHOO

This is what i did :

I grabbed the tarball for slackware - http://tinyurl.com/ys2j2y [i made link tiny]

i chose to download it to the /root folder

I then moved it to the root of the drive using:

Code:
     mv wlassistant-0.5.7-i386-1.tgz /
    i then extracted it

Code:
     tar xf wlassistant-0.5.7-i386-1.tgz
    This then allowed it to install over the top of the existing 0.5.5 install that came with Back|Track 2 Final

Now that it has installed over the top i was able to boot it from the usual menu [ K --> Internet --> Wireless Assistant]

Awesome it worked - or did it?

It comes up and yes its the correct version however i cannot see any networks - fullstop

My card is an atheros card and i hear you have to put it in scan mode - so i then hit

Code:

airmon-ng stop ath0
    airmon-ng start wifi0
    But still nothing

My question is - wtf am i missing? I am slowly losing the will to live with this - and i was initially quite chuffed that i had discovered and installed an app on my own :s Please help me out guys

Well what I did was download the lastest wlanassistant and just extracted it to a folder on my desktop and ran it from there. I didn't bother overwriting the previous version.

thing is its not actually showing my network - let alone any others - but kismet & airodump do show my network - its like wlassistant doesnt even know i have a wireless card

Does the version that came with BT detect any networks? Because if it does then my guess would be that you have to edit something in a conf file for the new wlan, but I am not sure what that would be.

mummysboy,

Don't give up!

This is how you learn.....by solving stuff like this.

Anyway, my recommendation is to go in steps:

...set your router to open
    ...leave your atheros in managed mode
    ...try to connect to your router
    ...forget for the moment all the BT2 or aircrack-ng commands
    ...use the terminal commands if wlanassistant is still not working for you

after you connect,

...disconnect from router
    ...pull up wlanassistant
    ...scan for signals
    ...tie in to your router via wlanassisant

after wlanassistant works

...change your router to wpa
    ...update wlanassistant to configure for your wpa

and so on

Alacrity

well i know there is an unsecured network next door so i should see a minimum of 2 networks.

Mine [WPA Encryption]
    His [Open Network]

Plus Xploitz knows that i reside in a few networks as he has my personal WPA capture file.

So if it needs to be open how come it doesnt see that open one?

[btw im not trying to do anything dodgy here i just want to connect to my wireless whilst using back|track]

i am using an atheros card and i am having serious snags here. I cant have my LAN cable across the front room for much longer - the wife is gonna kill me if she trips on it again.

Smile

hard to tell without being there. I was just suggesting a step process and process of elimination.

so, when stumped, I start from zero and then quickly ramp up.

get in the same room with your router, start with your router open and not wep or wpa, and connect via terminal commands if necessary.

still can't see it? use another wireless card to see if that is the problem, for example.

And so on.

But don't forget to have fun and don't let your wife trip on the internet line.

alacrity

the router is in the front room with me. [LAN cable and all]

could it be that my atheros card is not supported by wlassistant - i just went to an open network and still nothing.

You say connect via command console - can you please elaborate, i know this is spoonfeeding but i confess i am VERY new to linux and i am a windows whore

I used an Atheros card and wlanassistant 0.5.7 combo on another laptop and it worked fine......so you should be ok. In fact, it did make the process simple for wpa security in managed mode. Unfortunately, that laptop is not available and I can't do a quick check to see if there was some simple initial configuration required .... as another poster suggested. Obviously, there would be configuration for wep or wpa.

It will turn out to be something simple......!

do you have another wireless card to try? I know all the experts on this forum carry a dozen wireless pcmcia/usb cards and substitute back and forth for this and other reasons.

if you actually see the wlanassistant 0.5.7, that is a good sign. do you see the wpa/wep heading on the top of the 0.5.7 GUI table?

As I mentioned, it is hard to troubleshoot via the forum without being there. But, this is a great opportunity to learn! Don't give up.

And, when you solve it, tell us what did it for you.

EDIT: saw your terminal command question. it just means don't use wlanassistant. use the xterminal. type iwconfig. do you see your ath card? then type iwconfig essid XXXXXXXX etc to connect to your router without using the wlanassistant GUI.

This is all the "substitution" approach. Substitute for each item (pcmcia card, PC, software) something else to determine what is causing the problem

Developer

In slackware when you have a .tgz package you can usually just install it with the installpkg (filename).tgz command and it will place it self in the proper directory however the comment about setting your network to default and connecting via the shell commands is your best starting point. Wlassistant is a very buggy program. In case you dont know here would be the terminal commands
    bt-#ifconfig ath0 up
    bt~#iwconfig ath0 essid (yours here)
    bt~#dhcpcd ath0

let us know how that works.
    Also getting your packages from the slackware repo with the slaptget command can sometimes be easier that compiling from source. This is also a excellent site for slackware.
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/

http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slackware-11.0/
    find the package you want and bt~#slapt-get --install wlassistant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast