Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't obtain a handshake with WPA

Exclamation Can't obtain a handshake with WPA

Hey all i just put the Gigabyte GN-WI01GT mini card in my laptop. I believe it runs the atheros chipset. I am just trying to see if i can crack my own wireless network and I am having problems...

I put it into monitor mode I then type in airodump-ng -c 6 -w psk --bssid (my mac address) ath0. That works and it shows all the info but when I try to deauthenticate my desktop computer it NEVER is able to obtain a handshake.

Is there something else I need to do for this card to be able to obtain a handshake? Maybe different drivers than what came with backtrack 2?

This is with a straight boot from the backtrack 2 cd....I haven't done anything with the wireless driver, just using the one that came with backtrack 2. is that the problem?

If so do I have to get a driver or update some driver every single time I start backtrack 2 from the cd?

I have the same card

I used the same driver that came with the CD - but i updated it when i updated my kismet version. [ http://tinyurl.com/2t8gcz ]

Its meant for people who are on the beta but i got the gist of it and updated everything there

All i can say is that sometimes the Deauth does not seem to work - and i have found that if i keep deauth - my laptop crashes.

I found the best way to prove a capture was to manually walk over to your pc that is connected and repair the connection - then if you see the capture you know its working - then sit and try to deauth via the console

hope i have helped you somehow - btw i am running a HDD install cos i am crap at editing iso's

I have the same card in my laptop and its a5006x chipset so its good. I used to it crack my wireless network before. Did you do all this first?

airmon-ng stop ath0
    ifconfig wifi0 down
    airmon-ng start wifi0
    airodump-ng ath0

mort are you saying that i can use the backtrack iso from march and not update it at all and it should properly work?

Developer

Correct. the version of aircrack in the bt2 .iso should complete a effective deauth attack. The advice given to you to repair the connection manually at your victim terminal is the best idea then if that works and you capture a handshake in airodump then it is safe to assume that it may be your aireplay command sequence. It would help to see your commands in order to access whether you are indeed deauthing correctly.

airmon-ng stop ath0
    ifconfig wifi0 down
    airmon-ng start wifi0
    airodump-ng ath0

did all that.

It then proceeded to list all the networks in the area along with some clients connect to them on the bottom.

I typed in "airodump-ng --bssid (my router's mac addresss) -a ath0"

It then showed my router with both clients connected to it. I completely disabled my connection on my desktop compuiter and reconnected to my wpa-psk protected wireless n network. It connected and again no handshake was found on my laptop. I have yet to find a handshake.

Do I need to update anything that came with backtrack 2 first for this to work properly?

I actually think that it is de-authenticating properly when i do it because if i keep doing it repeatedly my desktop has a hard time loading a web page while i am doing it. Just for some reason the laptop refuses to see the handshake.

For some reason if I keep airodump-ng open for too long it stops seeing any aps or clients at all and i have to re put it into monitor mode for it to work again

EDIT: I tested it again and deauthentication is definitely working. no hand shake is ever found though.

Send a few more packets and slow the packet rate down with -x #,

aireplay-ng -0 5 -x 10 -a (ap mac) -c (client mac) ath0

How do your pwr levels compare to the clients power levels? got a 24db antenna or an amp handy

well im pretty much right next to the routers so my power levels are in the 50s, ill try your suggestion though

edit: I treid what default suggested and no handshake. =(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast