Thread: Mac address question

Default Mac address question

Hi Guys/Girls

Sorry to bother you with this qustion. I usually don't ask questions without research and practical testing. Since My AP has died I was wondering this as i haven't had an AP to play with my mind has been very active hehe

If I setup WEP and set my AP to only authenticate my NIC mac address (00:01:0b:ca:cd:dc) I'm safe to say no one can breach my security. What if they knew the WEP key loaded Aircrack-ng to see weather my NIC Mac address was connected to the AP. They see that i'm not connected and change their mac address to 00:01:0b:ca:cd:dc "mac -m 00:01:0b:ca:cd:dc ath0 will they gain access?

Thanks,
    FEdor

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by FedorEmelianenko View Post
    Hi Guys/Girls

Sorry to bother you with this qustion. I usually don't ask questions without research and practical testing. Since My AP has died I was wondering this as i haven't had an AP to play with my mind has been very active hehe

If I setup WEP and set my AP to only authenticate my NIC mac address (00:01:0b:ca:cd:dc) I'm safe to say no one can breach my security. What if they knew the WEP key loaded Aircrack-ng to see weather my NIC Mac address was connected to the AP. They see that i'm not connected and change their mac address to 00:01:0b:ca:cd:dc "mac -m 00:01:0b:ca:cd:dc ath0 will they gain access?

Thanks,
    FEdor
    No, you would be completely wrong in that supposition.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Thanks for the reply

Code:
    No, you would be completely wrong in that supposition
    So they could change their MAC to mine and gain access?

I'll have to setup a 60 WPA2 Character passcode then

Please read this thread:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...highlight=fake

It contains lots of information about exactly what you're asking about.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Yeah right, I didn't see that post.