Thread: WinXP: Monitor Mode - HWU8DD - Help

Just burned his ISO

Default WinXP: Monitor Mode - HWU8DD - Help

Hi I am wondering if it is possible to get the Hi-Gain™ USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter into wireless mode on windows.
    I am thinking a driver is needed from another post here talking about the driver and it appears that the driver is only for linux.

Is there a driver written for the Windows XP that will turn this device into monitor mode.

If so, can you please point me in the right direction.

If not, what do you recommend a VM of linux and then install those drivers?
    Also, I do not know a lot about linux, is there a way tutorial on how to install drivers on linux, (I only know how to do this on Windows XP, since this is probably my favorite OS VS WinNT, 2000, Vista, OSX, and Linux)

Thanks for any help.

Also what tools are best to use to capture the IVs for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by AltF4 View Post
    Is there a driver written for the Windows XP that will turn this device into monitor mode.
    No. The only device I'm aware of that can do this is the AirPcap adaptor (About $300us last time i looked)

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by InSanCen View Post
    No. The only device I'm aware of that can do this is the AirPcap adaptor (About $300us last time i looked)
    So are you saying, get linux for make this thing go into monitor mode?

Developer

First of all this is a backtrack linux support forum. This post will surely be moved or closed but before it does there a two drivers which allow certain cards in windows to be put in monitor mode. The wlidpackets drivers for a atheros chipset based card and the commview wifi driver works for a few others. Your best bet as I tell every one for support with windows, aircrack and packet injection is to visit the taz forumand check out the tutorials in wireless and security.