Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows firewall software opinions plz....

Default Windows firewall software opinions plz....

I'm in the market this xmas season for new XP firewall software. I've been running Norton '06 for almost a year (subscription ends < 30 days) and I'll be damned if I renew it (personal reasons with their customer support). I also run Diamond Process Guard, but I'm in need of opinions from those of you on a better option.

The Pro's of Norton that I liked:

-Ability to block individual executables the from internet
    -"Relatively" lightweight on my system (I haven't used hardly any of the 365 day subscription to the AV as it is too heavy)

The Con's:

-Customer service sucks
    -Occasionally flakes out on me trying to set itself to Auto Config for programs

Many thanx for your recommendations!
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I generally like Norton products, but I do not like their firewall. I've found it to be very flakey.

As for a software firewall, the only one that I run is what comes with XP, but then I'm always behind a sturdy hardware firewall.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I generally like Norton products, but I do not like their firewall. I've found it to be very flakey.

As for a software firewall, the only one that I run is what comes with XP, but then I'm always behind a sturdy hardware firewall.
    Seconded. Though to be honest, I only have one Windows machine, and it's only on when I'm playing Battlefield 2142.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

It can be as flakey as their overseas customer support!

I'm protected at home, but my primary reason for having to have something more is because a lot of times I have to plug into a clients network or sometimes a public net when meeting with a client, and I'm without my security blanket...

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    It can be as flakey as their overseas customer support!

I'm protected at home, but my primary reason for having to have something more is because a lot of times I have to plug into a clients network or sometimes a public net when meeting with a client, and I'm without my security blanket...
    Simple Nomad stated at Shmoocon a couple years ago that the WinXP firewall is actually a pretty good one. That was a good enough statement for me.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I still need more than the XP firewall... a lot of the time I need to block internet access to programs like iTunes (when I run 3rd party software on my jailbroken iPhone), IIS needs to be blocked 1/2 the time, SQL, and a few other programs.

I may just wind up renewing Norton

How about a vmware image of smoothwall or ipcop? Set it up so the physical network port is the vmware image and then set windows to proxy through the vmware image. Should work, I think.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How about a vmware image of smoothwall or ipcop? Set it up so the physical network port is the vmware image and then set windows to proxy through the vmware image. Should work, I think.
    I'm running an IPCop box on my home net. The only problem with running it as VM is that I primarily design with it and I need all of the 2GB's of RAM, so when I'm with a client on location and I have to edit this/that 'live', VM is going to suck the life out of it.

But thanx Barry, that's actually a super cool idea that I have yet to do. Actually I might give it a whirl this afternoon just to see how much in resources it needs (Still won't solve the issue of blocking inet access to certain exe's though ;>| )

Actually I don't even know if it's possible to config IPCop in VM to config my wifi @ a public hotspot

That's true.. That's how I get super "fast" download speed at work. One of the guys that has a non-packetshaped connection has an ipcop vmware image that he fires up when I need to download a big file and the boss isn't around. Usually I can just ask for access, but he's the only one who can unblock my computer. So I connect to the ipcop that is on a computer that's not blocked. Works pretty slick. We have dhcp turned off so I have to manually set up the connection, keeps the kids from latching on as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast