Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootsplash,lilo.conf & /boot/vmlinuz problems

Just burned his ISO

Question Bootsplash,lilo.conf & /boot/vmlinuz problems

First off, let me say that I read the forum rules, however, it's very late and I'm really tired of trying to get this to work. So I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or formatted incorrectly or whatever I might have done wrong. I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here for at least 2 weeks, but I can't seem to find any answers. With my luck it's probably painfully obvious. Nonetheless, here are my problems:
    I followed one of the tutorials here in the forums to restore the graphical bootsplash (both of them actually) to my HDD Install. I also felt like changing the timeout for lilo while I was doing this. I edited lilo.conf and added the values that were required to achieve this, and executed 'lilo -v' in a shell window. Once I restarted my computer, however, none of the changes were applied. Everything was exactly as it was before I edited lilo.conf. I looked closer at the lilo.conf file and one of the parts that the tutorial said to insert was this line: "initrd = /boot/splash.initrd". But my /boot directory doesn't have this file and neither does the CD's /boot directory! What's up with that? Shouldn't it at least say that it doesn't exist? Also, when I execute 'lilo -v' it says this at the bottom: "Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz: No such file or directory". How is that possible? It boots fine, so why does it say that? I checked my /boot directory and it's empty except for the splash.bmp file I copied into it while following the aforementioned tutorial. So how can it boot without the boot image? What's going on???

If it helps at all, this is lilo's output:
    Code:
    LILO version 22.7.1 Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
    Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2005 John Coffman
    Released 17-Sep-2005 and compiled at 00:33:53 on Aug 8 2006

Reading boot sector from  /dev/hda
    Warning: Kernel & BIOS return differing head/sector geometries for device 0x80
        Kernel: 65535 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors
         BIOS: 1023 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors
    Using BITMAP secondary loader
    Calling map_insert_data
    Mapping bitmap file /boot/splash.bmp
    Calling map_insert_file

Boot other: /dev/hda1, on /dev/hda, loader CHAIN
    Added WindowsXP *

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz
    Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz: No such file or directory
    Is it a good thing that it won't apply the changes to the lilo.conf file? Because from the looks of it things wouldn't work too well if it did...

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Krailon View Post
    First off, let me say that I read the forum rules, however, it's very late and I'm really tired of trying to get this to work. So I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or formatted incorrectly or whatever I might have done wrong. I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here for at least 2 weeks, but I can't seem to find any answers. With my luck it's probably painfully obvious. Nonetheless, here are my problems:
    I followed one of the tutorials here in the forums to restore the graphical bootsplash (both of them actually) to my HDD Install. I also felt like changing the timeout for lilo while I was doing this. I edited lilo.conf and added the values that were required to achieve this, and executed 'lilo -v' in a shell window. Once I restarted my computer, however, none of the changes were applied. Everything was exactly as it was before I edited lilo.conf. I looked closer at the lilo.conf file and one of the parts that the tutorial said to insert was this line: "initrd = /boot/splash.initrd". But my /boot directory doesn't have this file and neither does the CD's /boot directory! What's up with that? Shouldn't it at least say that it doesn't exist? Also, when I execute 'lilo -v' it says this at the bottom: "Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz: No such file or directory". How is that possible? It boots fine, so why does it say that? I checked my /boot directory and it's empty except for the splash.bmp file I copied into it while following the aforementioned tutorial. So how can it boot without the boot image? What's going on???

If it helps at all, this is lilo's output:
    Code:
    LILO version 22.7.1 Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
    Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2005 John Coffman
    Released 17-Sep-2005 and compiled at 00:33:53 on Aug 8 2006

Reading boot sector from  /dev/hda
    Warning: Kernel & BIOS return differing head/sector geometries for device 0x80
        Kernel: 65535 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors
         BIOS: 1023 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors
    Using BITMAP secondary loader
    Calling map_insert_data
    Mapping bitmap file /boot/splash.bmp
    Calling map_insert_file

Boot other: /dev/hda1, on /dev/hda, loader CHAIN
    Added WindowsXP *

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz
    Is it a good thing that it won't apply the changes to the lilo.conf file? Because from the looks of it things wouldn't work too well if it did...
    Fist of all post your partition table and then post your whole lilo.conf and then post a ls of you boot directory lke this
    Code:
    purehate ~ # cd /boot
    purehate boot # ls
    README.initrd@
    System.map
    System.map-generic-2.6.21.5
    System.map-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    System.map-huge-2.6.21.5
    System.map-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    System.old@
    boot.0800
    config@
    config-generic-2.6.21.5
    config-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    config-huge-2.6.21.5
    config-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    diag1.img
    map
    splash.bmp
    splash.initrd
    vmlinuz
    vmlinuz-generic-2.6.21.5
    vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5
    vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    vmlinuz.old@
    purehate boot #

I have seen this happen a few times.

Xploitz..........how's yours now?

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    I have seen this happen a few times.

Xploitz..........how's yours now?
    lol

Yep..happened to me as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Krailon
    Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz: No such file or directory". How is that possible? It boots fine, so why does it say that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krailon
    I checked my /boot directory and it's empty except for the splash.bmp file I copied into it while following the aforementioned tutorial. So how can it boot without the boot image? What's going on???
    Theres your answer to your own question. Its empty..meaning your vmlinuz is not there.

Here's the solution to the fix is this>>>>>>>

Put your cd of BT2 in it...browse the /boot directory...and copy over your vmlinuz.

Don't ask why...but if you followed muts video...your vmlinuz file is missing from your /boot directory. So you'll have to copy it over to your HD from the cd.

Now everything concerning lilo will work.

Thanks to Re@lity for the solution to this. I'm running fine...I can edit my lilo.conf anytime I want to without this error. Happy as a Lark I am.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Only posting my experiance -

I too had a multitude of errors when trying to change bootsplash.

i had the missing image error - when i resolved that i got a new one

It would not change the boot screen of lilo for me as i was trying to utilise a text message and a splash.bmp - to solve this error i put a # in front of the boot_message.txt line in the lilo.conf file.

Then performed lilo -v and it stored itself as expected so i rebooted and it worked was well happy things to note though - the bmp has to be 640 x 480 and 16 colors or 256 colours - hope my input helps

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation oh...

Lol so simple I never even thought of it. Ok, so I copied my vmlinuz file into the boot directory and did a 'lilo -v'. Now the problem I figured would pop up eventually has done just that. There is no splash.initrd in my /boot directory... -.-'

As far as my partition table, I'm not sure exactly how to access that. My boot directory now contains the splash.bmp and vmlinuz files that I copied there. Here's my lilo.conf:
    Code:
    lba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOS
    boot = /dev/hda
    # message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    prompt
    timeout = 30
    bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    vga = 0x317
    change-rules
    reset
    # vga = 773
    # Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = WindowsXP
    table = /dev/hda
    # Windows bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd = /boot/splash.initrd
    root = /dev/hda4
    label = Back|Track2
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends
    So...I guess my only problem now is finding that splash.initrd file. I looked in the /boot directory of the CD and the only file that has anything to do with 'initrd' is 'initrd.gz'. So does anyone know where it is...?

Oh ya, and thanks for the help! It's nice to know I'm not the only one having problems

Lol so simple I never even thought of it. Ok, so I copied my vmlinuz file into the boot directory and did a 'lilo -v'. Now the problem I figured would pop up eventually has done just that. There is no splash.initrd in my /boot directory... -.-'

As far as my partition table, I'm not sure exactly how to access that. My boot directory now contains the splash.bmp and vmlinuz files that I copied there. Here's my lilo.conf:
    Code:
    lba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOS
    boot = /dev/hda
    prompt
    timeout = 30
    bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    vga = 0x317
    change-rules
    reset
    # vga = 773
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = WindowsXP
    table = /dev/hda
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda4
    label = Back|Track2
    read-only
    So...I guess my only problem now is finding that splash.initrd file. I looked in the /boot directory of the CD and the only file that has anything to do with 'initrd' is 'initrd.gz'. So does anyone know where it is...?

Oh ya, and thanks for the help! It's nice to know I'm not the only one having problems
    just enter the command
    Code:
    makesplash
    and read its output. It will create your initrd file for you.

BTW..lilo is picky about its spaces..make sure you copy and paste this as is in your lilo.conf....

ba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOS
    boot = /dev/hda
    prompt
    timeout = 30
    bitmap = /boot/splash.bmp
    vga = 0x317
    change-rules
    reset
    # vga = 773
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = WindowsXP
    table = /dev/hda
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda4
    label = Back|Track2
    read-only
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Just burned his ISO

Talking Finally!

Alright! I got it! Thanks so much for the help. This was driving me nuts... I'm glad I got it working. I'm still getting used to all the tools, but I'll get it eventually. Thanks again!

Alright! I got it! Thanks so much for the help. This was driving me nuts... I'm glad I got it working. I'm still getting used to all the tools, but I'll get it eventually. Thanks again!

Your welcome. Glad I could help. It happned to me last month..and I'm no no0bie..lol. It took Re@lity and his omnipotent wisdom to figure this

error..and it even said EXACTLY what was wrong in bold! I was like you..I was like..how in the hell am I booting if this is gone?? Hell, I didn't even think to check there cause it was booting.

How in the hell is it booting when theres no vmlinuz (Boot image) file?? Anybody know?
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

[/CENTER]

Developer

There is a file in the same directory called "linux" which is a symbolic link to the real kernel file. I belive this is what the system looks for because when rebuilding a kernel the first task is to rm the linux file and create a new one linking to the new kernel file. The same info is in both files so I can only assume that the system will still boot with only the link file however I could be completely wrong>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast