Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping bt2 updated and secure?

Default keeping bt2 updated and secure?

how does one go about patching the kernel/packages, etc?

Developer

bt~#slapt-get --update && slapt-get --upgrade (however this will not patch your kernel) you must rebuild the kernel yourself.

is updating bt2 the same as updating slackware? from the same source(url) etc?

Developer

no the pentesting tools in bt2 are not included. these must be updated manually however muts and the boys are planning a backtrack repository for bt3.

i hope they do it quick, when is bt3 coming?

Developer

The loose rap on the net says the beta release will be early 2008. What are you specifically trying to update. I'm sure we could help if you provide us with some info.

actually I'm just asking a general question. Anyway, is slapt-get included in bt2? and if I install bt2 onto my hdd, how does one go about securing it?

Developer

I use bt as my main OS because I have updated it to slackware 12.0. But really in my opinion all you need is a good fire wall and open office, a few media players and bt can easily be you main OS. really the fire wall is included(called IP tables) but if you dont know how to use it its a pain. guarddog is a good easy linux iptables front end

so you updated to slack 12 using the steps you described above? Are there any other ways to update bt? can I use swaret?

another thing, how do you manage packages you install? using slapt-get as well?

I'm keen on having bt as my main os but I'm mainly worried about its security, I'll look into the guarddog software you mentioned.

Developer

In the tutorial section dr.green did a write up on how to change bt which is slackware 11.0 t0 the new slackware 12.0. Like I said this does not up date the "pen test"part of bt but it does upgrade every thing else including the kernel.

yes slapt get is how I keep every thing up to date but I also stay on top of the tools. but when newer tools come out ussually the must be compiled from source unless you have a updater like shamen made for aircrack.

guard dog is so easy to use a cave man could do it. There is a firewall builder program in bt but I find it hard to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast