Thread: How To Disable ACPI on HD install of BT2

Just burned his ISO

Default How To Disable ACPI on HD install of BT2

Hi,

This probably should be in the n00b section, but there have been questions similar to this in this section too. Hopefully this should help others too as I wasn't able to find anything solid that solved my problem so far that is exactly related to my situation.

Basically I have a Dell Latitude L400 running BIOS A08 and I recently read on the HCL that there is a problem with BIOS A09.

So I took apart my laptop, to check the CPU fan, disabled Power Management in the BIOS and because I have BACKTRACK 2 INSTALLED ON THE HARD DRIVE, I edited lilo.conf, appended with acpi=off and the fan STILL shuts down when BackTrack 2 boots up.

Is there anything that I can do to keep the CPU fan going as I don't want the laptop to overheat.

Also, I've read that it's possible that by disabling ACPI in BackTrack 2 this can possibly cause problems with my WIFI card from being detected as ACPI is required for PCMCIA deviced?

Thanks for any assistence.

Davinski

Just burned his ISO

May I just add the HCL list URL to this post

hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php?title=HCL:Laptops#Latitude_L400

Apparently, the DELL L400 can work fine but with APM turned off?

Latitude L400

* Doesn't run fine with BIOS A09. ACPI doesn't work. Fan doesn't start and laptop overheats. Runs fine with APM using acpi=off.
    * ACPI runs fine with BIOS A03. Suspend works using acpi_sleep=s5_bios.
    * Freezes during boot on "Starting Usb..."

How do I enable APM and how do I turn off ACPI?

Also, my PCMCIA Wifi card is not detected on this laptop, green light comes on on the card but no joy using the PCMCIA, I have the same problem as this post.

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8726&highlight=pcmcia

Many thanks

Davinski