Thread: How to mount USB-Stick / USB-HDD automatically ??

Just burned his ISO

Default How to mount USB-Stick / USB-HDD automatically ??

Sorry guys, I give it up !

After hours of google, forums, threads I have to say that I'm either too dumb to solve the problem or too dense, I don't know.

As I mentioned before, I'm new to linux and therefore I've read lots of forums about mounting an USB-drive (or stick) automatically, I tried it with usbmount, pmount, udev-rules, ... and all together but it didn't worked.

What I want to do?

1.)
    Simple, I have an USB stick and I wanted it to be automatically mounted (every time a plug it in) at the same place, for example on "/mnt/sandisk".

And if I unplug it, the above mentioned folder should be empty an all data should be written on the stick.

2.)
    Not so simple (I think), I have an USB HDD with two partitions on it, one is "normal", the other is encrypted with Truecrypt.

As before, I wanted it to be automatically mounted / dismounted and additionally the system should ask me about the password for the encrypted volume.

If someone has an idea how to do this, I would be very thankful. If not, then I will really give it up and won't use my peripherals on my BT2 final because I'm apparently too dumb for Linux. Really.

Sorry for the moaning, but that's how I fell at the moment

Chris

Just burned his ISO

...seems that all of you mount your usb-stuff manually

Chris

1) USB sticks are automounted though some take forever to be found (esp. USB mp3 player sticks).

2) I'm sure the Truecrypt site has information on mounting their partitions/password prompting.

3) No one here owes you anything (including a reply).

4) Getting mouthy/sarcastic won't help your cause.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Developer

I don't see whats so hard about typing one command to mount your usb. If it was me I would add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.M to make it automount or the lame way would be to put the command in you kde autostart menu. Linux is easy if you want something to start at boot or with kde then you add the start command to the (you guessed it) START up script.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    I'm sure the Truecrypt site has information on mounting their partitions/password prompting.
    Sure, it has! But I didn't find something about to do that automatically.
    No one here owes you anything (including a reply).
    I know that damn well, and that's why I put the "" in. It was really meant in that way, not as a admonishment!
    Getting mouthy/sarcastic won't help your cause.
    --> that's sarcastic (just kiddin')

And btw, I don't find my post mouthy...

Chris