Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: -=Xploitz=- For Hire??

Question -=Xploitz=- For Hire??

Yea, so I've been seriously considering trying to start up my own "General Computer Repair Business", (out of my own home) to make some extra cash to help pay for college, gas and other bills...and within the last week, I've had some of my wifes friends (2 to be exact) hire me to fix their computer for $75 bucks. All I did was reformat the HD and put Windows back on..and do some boot up / shutdown registry tweaks...install Office 2007...basic stuff ya know?? And it got me thinking....

"Why not start up my own computer repair business on the side, and give those boy's over at Best Buy's "Geek Squad" some good old competition??"

I mean..I'm knowledgeable in Hardware installs..Diagnosis..Virus/Spyware removal...data recovery, etc...

So I have some questions I'd like to ask y'all. Keep in mind, I have no A+ certs or any other certs for that matter.

1. What are good prices for basic computer repair? Everyone seems to be at 100 bucks per hour for spyware/ virus removal..and re-formatting HD's. And around 50 bucks per hour for hardware installs, network setups...and diagnostics. And I think those prices are kinda high!!

2. I tried Smartdraw to make some flyers..but theres no good templates for computer repair..actually...theres none. Any ideas on a good flyer template? Or some other program that I can use? Google isn't very good at finding flyer making software.

3. Any advice to me is EXTREMELY WANTED.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

1) You might want to research any tax implecations of doing this.
    2) You need to come up with a sign-off type document, it sucks to have people repeatedly returning to you for the same issue they claim you haven't resolved (when you have and they keep buggering things up) or an issue they claim you've caused. Also if you're going to format and re-install you might want a supplemental sign-off for them indicating that you've backed up anything they care about and that if anything is lost it's not your fault as they reviewed the inventory or whatever.
    3) Certs don't matter for this type of work.
    4) Where would you advertise?
    5) Those prices are VERY steep unless you're trying for corporate customers (which is unlikely to happen if you're completely unknown). I suggest youfind out what interns/HS students make in the area and try for something similar (likely $13-17/hr which still kicks McDonnald's butt).
    6) Don't deal with hardware or software resale unless you wanna deal with returns. (Maybe you wanna partner up with a local Ma&Pa shop for sales and have your customers go in and make the purchases themselves)
    7) Though we appreciate your nick, don't call yourself/the company "-=Xploitz=- For Hire" I don't think it portrays the image you want
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    1) You might want to research any tax implecations of doing this.
    2) You need to come up with a sign-off type document, it sucks to have people repeatedly returning to you for the same issue they claim you haven't resolved (when you have and they keep buggering things up) or an issue they claim you've caused. Also if you're going to format and re-install you might want a supplemental sign-off for them indicating that you've backed up anything they care about and that if anything is lost it's not your fault as they reviewed the inventory or whatever.
    3) Certs don't matter for this type of work.
    4) Where would you advertise?
    5) Those prices are VERY steep unless you're trying for corporate customers (which is unlikely to happen if you're completely unknown). I suggest youfind out what interns/HS students make in the area and try for something similar (likely $13-17/hr which still kicks McDonnald's butt).
    EXCELLENT advice!!

I especially like the whole waiver thing about having a sign-off once I fix it and if they bugger it up..its on them not me idea.

Where would I advertise?? Probably just do a test run here in my community. Maybe a 5-10 block radius. I'd offer in home repair..and take home repair if needed. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. <Wink Smiley here>

I agree. $13-17/hr DOES kick Micky-D's butt

BTW...are their any other services I could offer that I overlooked? Any at all??

BTW thank you thorin for taking time out to help me. I appreciate that.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

You could give classes like "Basic Office 2007" or "Basic Windows XP" to the children in you block or even elderly people who dont know the difference between the abbacus and a computer , and you could go for like 20$ the hour for the class (not sure on the price tho, im not in the US), you could do that on the side and do your basic Computer Repair Business at home, i used to do that here when i was like 18, and i always had drinking money on the weekends

and i agree with thorin on not calling the business "-=Xploitz=- for Hire", people might get the gigolo idea here

I believe the general going rate, depending on your region, is about 20-25 bucks per hour. Another thing to keep in mind is the distance (for example, if you have to drive 50 miles to your client’s site, that too factors into the cost.)

Since this is a “side job” for you, word of mouth might be the best route for you to go in terms of making your name known. The thing about this business is that it is not so much about getting new customers, but retaining and keeping existing ones happy. People will view you in a similar manner as a car mechanic…they realize you know more about computers than you do, and as such, you can rip them off. If you can demonstrate that you are genuine and fair, then they will keep coming back to you (and recommend you to their friends =]

If you are going in the computer fixit route, you might also be interested in using diagnostic/recovery. I suggest looking into bootable recovery CDs. Google BartPE. The original CD plus some of the mods they have enable you to resurrect a computer from the dead. “Ultimate Boot CD” is also pretty good…has quite a few diagnostic utilities as well.

Or you could do your own Live CD for Data Recovery and Fixing HDD's based on Windows, like Partition Magic and such, i use one myself when one of the PC's at the company i work for decides to not work anymore for no apparent reason, it really really helps and the people notice that you are not just another IT Tech from around the block, they notice that you're the real deal

TEH IT TECH (Insert funny remarks here )

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

here in france i take 50 E / hour + 1E/km for distance.....

i think you may look into giving some basic courses (like securing your network, or building your pc, or first steps with windows, or first steps with nux)

i love do that , and i ask 25E/hour for that...........and the coffee... lol

my reputation comes from my dispo.... (you can ring me from 6 Am to 24 pm.........)
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    BTW...are their any other services I could offer that I overlooked? Any at all??
    You could add the services of setting up home networking, where you can build a firewall like IPCop (I've ran it on a P2 400mhz system with 128mb of RAM before and it ran fine!) for your clients. You could get away with charging $250 to setup a secure SOHO net, assuming they have a router and switch...
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

well you could also get ideas from the commercial companies. I mean I don't like those companies but at least give you an idea or pricing. Just a thought.

You could check out the Joke Squad.

www (dot) geeksquad (dot) com/pricing/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Primey View Post

and i agree with thorin on not calling the business "-=Xploitz=- for Hire", people might get the gigolo idea here
    Ohh...so you have read my profile!!

-=Xploitz=- profile....

Additional Information:

Interests:In order of preference: 1. Penetration Testing my wife 2. Learning Network Administration @ College

Of course I would not call it -=Xploitz=- for hire!! Where did y'all get that idea from?? My threads title?? lol..that was just the "topic" of this thread..lol
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

[/CENTER]

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast