Thread: x window error

Just burned his ISO

Default x window error

whenever i try to run a program in BT 2 , namely John or Rcrack as well as others, i see the window begin to open then almost instantly close. Sometimes it may stay open for 2 or 3 seconds then close.
    Once i end session back to command line i see this error: x error: badwindow (invalid window parameter) 3, there are a few other lines below it but didnt take note of them (i can if needed). Not all programs do this, but alot of them do. Any ideas?
    Ive attempted to goodle the error and search these forums but i havent found anything helpful as of yet.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Just a stab in the dark but try to dump all the files you are using in the same dir as rcrack or john. I read about this somwhere before but was ages ago and cant remember where???

Just burned his ISO

could you elaborate? or are there any other suggestions?

Sorry for the late reply I've been busy. Are you running a HD install of backtrack??? That error looks like it has somthing to do with QT??

I've googled the error and it almost always is QT. Somthing to do with QT trying to call files from other directories. But I was er lets just say half baked when I read this lol.

Just burned his ISO

lmao no prob. but no not a hd install running from the live cd. im just trying to familiarize myself with the programs on my desktop, like what each one does. watching vids can only take you so far. But to answer, no, never heard of QT till you mentioned it, unless its somehow integrated into the distro, i havent/am not using it.
    I have nothing running and havent added anything while running, well maybe firefox, but that would be it. My google search pulled up the same stuff, but none with a solution.I also seen a few that had to do with kprinter and klipper, both i havent used either. so i really dont know what else to do.

For example with john cd over to the john dir /pentest/password/john-1.7.2/run and copy your wordlist and your password.txt files over to this dir and run the crack all from that dir. It works on mine so I don't know if this will work but try it and see