Thread: Compiling THC Hydra 5.4

Default HOWTO: Compiling and Installing THC Hydra 5.4

I am in a tutorial mood so here goes.

I am assuming that you all know how to use the tar command or at least drag and drop extraction in Konqueror.

1. Download and extract the Apache Portable Runtime and the APR utils source tarball from http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi.
    At the time of writing the current versions are apr-1.2.11 and apr-util-1.2.10.

2. Compile and install APR and then APR-Util

EDIT: You may need to run ldconfig after installing APR, before you install APR-Util

Code:
    ./configure
    make 
    make install
    3. Download and extract the THC Hydra 5.4 source tarball from http://freeworld.thc.org/thc-hydra/

4. Configure THC Hydra

Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    5. Open the makefile using the editor of your choice and look for the following lines at the top

Code:
     XLIBPATHS=...
     XIPATHS =...
    6. Append the following to those lines:

Code:
    XLIBPATHS=... -L/usr/local/apr/lib
    XIPATHS=... -I/usr/local/apr/include/apr-0
    **Double check the APR library locations, APR may end up in /usr/lib/apr

7. Save and close

8. Now compile and install. This will overwrite Hydra 5.3 included with BT2

Code:
    make
    make install
    HTH,
    E

Developer

I'm currious what that does to the GTK GUI if any thing. I don't really care because I use the bash shell but I'm wondering if there is a new GUI included which would overwrite the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    I'm currious what that does to the GTK GUI if any thing. I don't really care because I use the bash shell but I'm wondering if there is a new GUI included which would overwrite the other one?
    I compared it to the 5.3 version, looks the same to me...

Developer

It may be noteworthy to mention that when I configured apr-utils I had to add a flag with the apr file path

./configure --with-apr=/usr/local/apr/bin

maby it was just my crazy set up but there it is if any one else has a issue. great job elzar

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    It may be noteworthy to mention that when I configured apr-utils I had to add a flag with the apr file path

./configure --with-apr=/usr/local/apr/bin

maby it was just my crazy set up but there it is if any one else has a issue.
    Probably something to do with the library paths. I think I may have ran ldconfig after installing apr. I will add that as a step.

great job elzar
    Thanks

Just burned his ISO

installed fine... i had to add ./configure --with-apr=/usr/local/apr/bin like purehate did.... only thing is, was wondering is how to open the gui? it doesnt create shortcut anywhere... dont mind me.. im still new... just installed BT2 mmkay....

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    installed fine... i had to add ./configure --with-apr=/usr/local/apr/bin like purehate did.... only thing is, was wondering is how to open the gui? it doesnt create shortcut anywhere... dont mind me.. im still new... just installed BT2 mmkay....
    xhydra, read the documentation next time.....
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Developer

So I have a question: I just noticed that there is no longer ssh support but there is ssh2. So what i was wondering is if any one knows if the algorithm is the same and the ssh2 attack will work against old ssh or not or should I just STFU and test it myself. Any way if not what shall we use for ssh?