Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wardriving

Default wardriving

im in the market for a GPS. im thinking about the DeLorme LT 20. anyone have any experience with it/whats a better cheap model? i dont want anything fancy, just something that will work with linux. for example, i dont really even want a screen on the unit. war driving sounds like fun and i figured i might as well give it a go, as well as use the gps for trips and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by ats1080 View Post
    im in the market for a GPS. im thinking about the DeLorme LT 20. anyone have any experience with it/whats a better cheap model? i dont want anything fancy, just something that will work with linux. for example, i dont really even want a screen on the unit. war driving sounds like fun and i figured i might as well give it a go, as well as use the gps for trips and what not.
    Avoid Garmin as many of their new units do not support NMEA.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Avoid Garmin as many of their new units do not support NMEA.
    Really? I wonder why they've done that. Even my Geko 201 (they don't get much cheaper than that) has NMEA support. (Unless the dropped it in the latest firmware).

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Really? I wonder why they've done that. Even my Geko 201 (they don't get much cheaper than that) has NMEA support. (Unless the dropped it in the latest firmware).
    Garmin created a proprietary format. Many (not sure if *alll) of their newer devices use it instead of NMEA. Why? Good question. My answer is to avoid Garmin completely.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Garmin created a proprietary format. Many (not sure if *alll) of their newer devices use it instead of NMEA. Why? Good question. My answer is to avoid Garmin completely.
    Because they've adopted the Sony mentality of Standards. With what they're doing you're forced to buy accessories from them. Same as Sony does.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Default gps

I did some research on this already and found this to be something that matches my needs:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/navibe-gm72...abled-779.aspx

I have neither bought one, nor tested one, but others here might comment on the effectiveness of this device.

As for price, well it seems pretty reasonable to me.
    Lux sit

i got the DeLorme LT 20 off ebay for $49 including shipping. it comes with atals 2008 and everything. they go on newegg for about 70 with shipping. specs says it supports NMEA 0183 and connects with usb. i shall post my results upon testing.

i got my gps on tuesday and it works outstandingly well in windows but not in linux. i tried a couple different way to get it to work but it didnt happen.....but anyway, ill keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Because they've adopted the Sony mentality of Standards. With what they're doing you're forced to buy accessories from them. Same as Sony does.
    Sounds like the Apple / AT&T mentality as well
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

capitalism rulez..........;

Slaves !! they want us to be slaves...... and we are already a little .........
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast