Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best USB or PCI wireless card

Just burned his ISO

Default Best USB or PCI wireless card

My laptop has the dreaded BCM4312 broadcom driver issue ive been trying since BT4 release to get drivers working but i have given up, instead im looking for a widely supported usb or pci card

thanks in advance

Default Re: Best USB or PCI wireless card

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Bruticus View Post
    My laptop has the dreaded BCM4312 broadcom driver issue ive been trying since BT4 release to get drivers working but i have given up, instead im looking for a widely supported usb or pci card

thanks in advance
    I use the HWUG1 because of its external antenna capabilities. It's rather inexpensive is works out of the box (at least for me)

As for "the best" I'm sure you may get mixed replies.

I've had very good luck with the DLink WUA-1340 which can be found nearly everywhere, and online for pretty cheap. The bonus of this adapter is that you will find a small RF port on the PC board when you disassemble it. I've been able to attach an external antenna to this and dramatically improve my reception/range.
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

I use the HWUG1 (RT73) as well, with a variety of antennas. Also, there are multiple cards with RTL8187 chip sets that work great out of the box!
    "Failing to plan is planning to fail"

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Nice. This is the one I just bought from the States about a week and a half ago. Damn UPS is slow crossing the border. Can't wait to get it though.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Thanks. I ordered this on Friday. I'm curious see what long-distance means.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I just got my Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW in the mail today! Holy EFF! I'm picking up stuff from far, far, far away. Like the free-wifi AP two blocks away! This thing is nuts!

Ran airodump-ng, and I don't have a big enough term window for all the APs this is picking up; I'll have to force it to search a narrower band, or shrink my font to unreadable proportions before it all fits on the screen... Then again, I DO live in an apartment building.

I have to say, this is definitely at least a 10-up from my borked Nintendo WiFi Adapter.

Good Buy! $33 USD + S&H from DBRoth.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I just got my Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW in the mail today! Holy EFF! I'm picking up stuff from far, far, far away. Like the free-wifi AP two blocks away! This thing is nuts!

Ran airodump-ng, and I don't have a big enough term window for all the APs this is picking up; I'll have to force it to search a narrower band, or shrink my font to unreadable proportions before it all fits on the screen... Then again, I DO live in an apartment building.

I have to say, this is definitely at least a 10-up from my borked Nintendo WiFi Adapter.

Good Buy! $33 USD + S&H from DBRoth.
    I'm glad that is working out for you? Has it been fully compatible with BT4?

What was the original card you were using? That would be great for comparison, maybe your old card just sucked

I don't understand why the 1000mW would be better than 500mW. As I understand it, that is only for broadcast power. Without a corresponding increase in antenna dBs, what good is more broadcast power?

You sound just like me talking to my brother when I received mine, about two weeks ago.
    I still can't pick up the signal from my University's wireless. But it is like 1km away from my apartment, so I never expected it to. I'm now waiting for my new 14dbi yagi antenna to arrive, that should do the trick.

Use kismet, it's what I use to see them all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast