Thread: pwnsauce (final .iso) - ettercap [iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize...]

mcurran

Default [SOLVED] pwnsauce (final .iso) - ettercap [iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize...]

I'm receiving the following background error when running ettercap from the terminal:

iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I was just wondering if this is a global issue with the final release or not, and whether anyone has any suggestions. This message only appears once I stop any MITM attacks; however, all options seem to work beforehand. This message repeats about 15 times as the program is ending... I'm using an HD install and yes, I am running as root and with root privileges.
    Last edited by mcurran; 02-05-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Default Re: pwnsauce (final .iso) - ettercap [iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize...]

Have you uncommented in /etc/etter.conf the two iptables line?

# if you use iptables:
    redir_command_on = "iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i %iface -p tcp --dport %port -j REDIRECT --to-port %rport"
    redir_command_off = "iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i %iface -p tcp --dport %port -j REDIRECT --to-port %rport"

Also, change the EC_UID and EC_GID in /etc/etter.conf to root.

[privs]
    ec_uid = 0 # nobody is the default
    ec_gid = 0 # nobody is the default
    "Failing to plan is planning to fail"

Default Re: pwnsauce (final .iso) - ettercap [iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize...]

Quote Originally Posted by mcurran View Post
    I'm receiving the following background error when running ettercap from the terminal:

iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I was just wondering if this is a global issue with the final release or not, and whether anyone has any suggestions. This message only appears once I stop any MITM attacks; however, all options seem to work beforehand. This message repeats about 15 times as the program is ending... I'm using an HD install and yes, I am running as root and with root privileges.
    I noticed that under both BT4 beta and pre final, never cared since everything worked ok, despite the error messages at the end.

EDIT: This error occurs even with the iptable lines uncommented in /etc/etter.conf, but i never tried the "running as root" part.

mcurran

Default [SOLVED] pwnsauce (final .iso) - ettercap [iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize...]

Thank you creepykrawler!

setting the privileges to 0, fixed the error message I was receiving.

mcurran

Did you try the:

[privs]

Did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by creepykrawler View Post
    Did you try the:

[privs]

Did it work?
    I don't know if the question is directed to me, but I'll answer anyway.

No, haven't tried it yet. Last few weeks have kept me busy (exams time), haven't had the time to try it. But I can try in a while, once I finish studying this chapter. Have you tried it? If so, have the error messages disappeared?

BTW, looking at the error messages, it makes sense if it solves the issue --> "(you must be root)"
    Just a matter of trying to confirm.
    Last edited by Snayler; 02-05-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added BTW

Yes, ettercap runs like a champ for me. I made these changes. Hope it works for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by creepykrawler View Post
    Yes, ettercap runs like a champ for me. I made these changes. Hope it works for ya!
    I'm confident it works. I had already changed the etter.conf file, but never checked since I have a shortcut to ettercap on my desktop, I don't run it from CLI (I like to be able to see connections, enable/disable plugins when I want, etc... without having to stop the command and re-writing it).