Thread: VMWare BT2 Question

Question VMWare BT2 Question

Hello,
    I am trying to run BT2 off VMWare workstation on windows XP. I got it booting off the Iso perfectly fine, but it does not recognize my PCMCIA card. I assumed that this is because my card, a netgear MA521 w/ realtek 8180 chipset, isn't compatible with linux or BT2. After reading about, I am thinking of purchasing a PCMCIA Netgear WG511T Card... But when I'm reading and searching the tutorial section, I saw a post saying that a PCMCIA card will have no chance of being recognized via a VMWare boot. Is that true? If so, how can I run BT2 on my machine with a PCMCIA card? Do I have to ditch VMWare and go for booting off a CD? (I ran out of blank CD's so I tried VMWare first XD) Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by StriderZ View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to run BT2 off VMWare workstation on windows XP. I got it booting off the Iso perfectly fine, but it does not recognize my PCMCIA card. I assumed that this is because my card, a netgear MA521 w/ realtek 8180 chipset, isn't compatible with linux or BT2. After reading about, I am thinking of purchasing a PCMCIA Netgear WG511T Card... But when I'm reading and searching the tutorial section, I saw a post saying that a PCMCIA card will have no chance of being recognized via a VMWare boot. Is that true? If so, how can I run BT2 on my machine with a PCMCIA card? Do I have to ditch VMWare and go for booting off a CD? (I ran out of blank CD's so I tried VMWare first XD) Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
    VMware will only recognize usb wireless interfaces and they must be compatable with BT2 as well. There is no chance of your pcmia card being recognized.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    VMware will only recognize usb wireless interfaces and they must be compatable with BT2 as well. There is no chance of your pcmia card being recognized.
    ...and this question has been repeatedly asked and answered. Had the OP bothered to even search a little bit, this thread would not have been needed.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ...and this question has been repeatedly asked and answered. Had the OP bothered to even search a little bit, this thread would not have been needed.
    It never ceases to amaze me at the number of people that want to be pentesters or some other form of IT proffesional but they can't even seem to be able to utilize the search function.

Well thanks for the answers. Sorry that I "didn't" search, even though I did say that I searched around the forum and I did say that I indeed saw a post that says PCMCIA did not work. I only started this thread because there were so many of these questions, that there was no real solid answer that I could rely on... as it wasn't in any of the stickies or tutorial & guides definitively. Plus, as you said, it kept being asked, so I thought perhaps this was a fixable problem. As a hobbyist new to this thing, I didn't want to take a chance so I started a thread to verify what I derived to be true from the search function. Or maybe I was so tired last night that I was paranoid about being wrong.... so I posted a question that I already found an answer to, albeit unverified. Either way, sorry about posting such an overasked question, I thought the newbie area would be more forgiving . Thanks again!