Thread: Install problems

Default Install problems

I know this may be categorized as a windows forums type of question but since I installed bt I cannot install vista. I formatted 50 gigs nfts and tried installing vista on it but it said it could not install on any partitions. I tried formatting it with the actual vista live install cd and it still would not install. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by -`Joseph`- View Post
    I know this may be categorized as a windows forums type of question but since I installed bt I cannot install vista. I formatted 50 gigs nfts and tried installing vista on it but it said it could not install on any partitions. I tried formatting it with the actual vista live install cd and it still would not install. Suggestions?
    When you say you formatted 50 gigs ntfs, is that a separate partition just for Vista or it is also the partition where BT is installed? Also what boot loader are you using and what is the configuration of it?

I would say honestly you could just boot the live CD and reformat/repartition w/qtparted, install Vista and reinstall BT thereafter....

HOW TO
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Any way I could create like a backup of my current bt install?

Any way I could create like a backup of my current bt install?
    There are several backup methods that have been discussed recently.

A quick search and they will turn up.

Could you possibly link me. I am horrible at searching. I searched for backup and found no threads for doing what I wanted to do. -_-

Could you possibly link me. I am horrible at searching. I searched for backup and found no threads for doing what I wanted to do. -_-
    Try here here here or here or even here

I was thinking there was a specific way to do it for bt. Sorry...

As the only method I am aware of that is native in BT is very dangerous if used incorrectly, I think it is best not to tell people about it.

Just for reference it is called dd, but if you read up on it, you will find it is very confusing, plus you will read many many horror stories about it's incorrect use, even by people who use it all the time scattered around the net.

I am sure that some people here have stories about it, if they are brave enough to admit it in a post.

But there are some methods people have used, on the forums if you search hard enough.

Not trying to come off like a smart ass Joseph, but if you would have heeded the advice I gave you last night, I would bet you 50 to 1 that you could have made a clean install of Vista with a nice dual-boot of BT... and I can almost guarantee that in all of that time you could have recompiled/reloaded/etc whatever significant changes you have on your BT install...
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Yea, I suppose. But I think it would be easier to just backup the data and restore it after installing vista instead. It would take a bit of time to reinstall everything I have already done on my current bt installation seeing how it is my main os on my laptop. In have updated almost all of the programs on there and install new programs and it would be just too much of a hassle to redo everything if I do not have to.