Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Necat question

Just burned his ISO

Default Stupid Necat question

i am trying to get netcat running on a windows 2000 advanced server in my test lab, i have copied nc.exe off my BT2 PC. Howwever i cannot seem to get netcat to run on the win2000 server, i always seem to get the following message "This program cannot be run in dos mode".

Can anybody suggest a fix or advise what i am doing wrong?

Whats the best way to run netcat on a remote compromised pc/server, is it via a batch or what?

Thanks for any help given.

Try it on another windows machine, and also, download netcat for windows directly from its website and try that.

http://www.vulnwatch.org/netcat/

Website is down at the time of this post, but check back later.
    σκιαμαχι

Just burned his ISO

Default Stupid Necat question

downloaded netcat 1.11 and that seems to work ok, however the version of netcat that is in the BT2 distribution does not seem to work on my test windows 2000 servers. I am going to build a windows 2003 server and try the BT2 version on that.

Just wondered if anybody else had got the version of netcat that comes with BT2 working on windows 2000?

Just burned his ISO

the version of netcat that comes with BT2 doesnt seem to work on window 2003 either, however as before ver 1.11 (downloaded from the net) works ok.

Any body any ideas, i assume other people must have got the BT2 version of netcat working.

Default linux v windows

I am sure the silence is ringing in your ears.

The version of netcat contained in the BT distribution is the linux version. It will not and cannot run under the Windows OS.

You will need to obtain the source and recompile under Windows. Even then it is unlikely to work to the fullest extent.

You might alternatively search for a compiled version. Netcat is quite old now and has been superceded.

This forum is here to assist with BT issues.
    Lux sit

There's a windows version here:

/pentest/database/oracle/oat/tftproot/windows/netcat/

There's a windows version here:

/pentest/database/oracle/oat/tftproot/windows/netcat/
    level is very correct.
    Whos ears are ringing now?
    "A teacher is never a giver of truth; he is a guide, a pointer to the truth that the student must discover for himself." - Bruce Lee

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the pointer, its appreciated

However i have already tried the version in /pentest/database/oracle/oat/tftproot/windows/netcat/
    and the version in /pentest/windows-binaries/tools/nc.exe and neither work.

I know this forum is for BT2 issues and i'm not looking for a tutorial on netcat or anything like that, but having used BT2 to exploit one of my test servers and then tftp'd both versions of nc.exe from BT2 to my test server, neither will work. if i download versions from the internet they work ok.

is the version of netcat that comes with BT2 valid/corupt, is there something special you need to do with it ie run it from a batch file (which does'nt seem to work either) to get around the error message "This program cannot be run in dos mode" or is it a really a linux version (but the .exe seems abit odd then....)

This problem your having is not with the BT2 NT version of nc (version in /pentest/database/oracle/oat/tftproot/windows/netcat/) as I have tested it and have no issues running it. Maybe it (nc) is getting corupted with your transfer method?
    "A teacher is never a giver of truth; he is a guide, a pointer to the truth that the student must discover for himself." - Bruce Lee

Just burned his ISO

ok, thanks for the confimation that you've got it working.

i'll try a different transfer method or burn another BT2 iso/Cd etc.

your help is appreciated, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast