Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Linux Flavor

Default Which Linux Flavor

Hello All:

I am a new member to both the Remote Exploit community and the Wireless and Linux community. I am very interested in security and learning the ins and outs of the computer and internet world.

I would like to know which Linux flavor would be more receptive of my D-link dwl-g650 rev.B5 Atheros based wireless card, Knoppix or BackTrack Auditor? I read that Auditor supported my dwl-g650 rev.B5, however does this mean that during installation the drivers will be install and the network setup or will I have to manually figure out how to set up the madwifi drivers, which I do not know how to do and may need your help? Also, will my card work with all of the wonderful tools that Auditor comes with and which attracted me to it in the first place, such as the Airplay suite and Kismet?
    If my card does not work then which card should I buy that would work with both Auditor and the tools?

Thank you all for helping me with my questions. I really appreciate the help.

Stephen Doty

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1000000 View Post
    Hello All:

I am a new member to both the Remote Exploit community and the Wireless and Linux community. I am very interested in security and learning the ins and outs of the computer and internet world.

I would like to know which Linux flavor would be more receptive of my D-link dwl-g650 rev.B5 Atheros based wireless card, Knoppix or BackTrack Auditor? I read that Auditor supported my dwl-g650 rev.B5, however does this mean that during installation the drivers will be install and the network setup or will I have to manually figure out how to set up the madwifi drivers, which I do not know how to do and may need your help? Also, will my card work with all of the wonderful tools that Auditor comes with and which attracted me to it in the first place, such as the Airplay suite and Kismet?
    If my card does not work then which card should I buy that would work with both Auditor and the tools?

Thank you all for helping me with my questions. I really appreciate the help.

Stephen Doty
    If you're truly interested in learning what you say you want to, then why do you want everything to be handed to you on a silver platter? After all, nobody every learned anything by doing it right the first time. Download the ISO, see if it works, if it doesn't research why it doesn't.

After all, If you show a man how to build a fire, he'll be warm for the night, but if you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

If Backtrack has the appropriate drivers for your card, when you boot up they should be configured and ready to go. At least this was the case with my Ubiquiti card. Kismet and the rest of the wireless tools worked right out of the box.

Default Teaching a man how a fire works will teach the man nothing about how to set one.

Thank you both for answering in such a timely fashion.

Streaker69: I read many conflicting posts throughout many chatboards about my D-Link dwl-g650 rev.B5 wireless card. The folks at Redhat say that it doesn't work if you cannot set up Ndiswrapper correctly. Therefore I started researching Ndiswrapper and found instructions on how to install my card:

(dlink) D-LINK DWL-650+
    Tested with unencrypted router, no verification.
    Instructions: (while root and toram mode)
    (Firstly, insert the driver CD-ROM) then typed
    ndiswrapper -i /mnt/auto/cdrom/WinXP/AIRPLUS.INF
    ndiswrapper -l
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    dmesg
    (then netcardconfig)

The netcardconfig would then walk me through the rest of the steps. After further research I found out that Ndiswrapper will not work with Airplay and can cause issues with kismet. Therefore I found Madwifi which is included with Auditor and Knoppix.

If my card is not found during installation what commands do I use to set up my wireless card since the Madwifi program is installed through the install?

Do I go to the Madwifi directory and to a make and a make install, thus installing it again? What?

I do not want the whole answer but some direction would be nice.

Auditor looks like a wonderful Linux flavor and I really want to be able to explore all of the tools that Auditor has to offer, I just have make sure that Auditor will allow me online first.

It would suck to install a whole operating system and try to make a wireless card work and the two are not compatible.

Thank you for all your help and compassion.
    Stephen

Stephen, these questions you ask can be solved through trial and error.
    You complain about not wanting to install a specific version of linux and finding out that your specific piece of hardware doesnt work with it. I cant even count how many times ive installed and reinstalled various distributions of *nix (like most people on this forum) for whatever reason.Your best bet is to try each distribution yourself and see what works for you.and If you are confused about using madwifi im sure you will find the answer by reading the MadWifi 'First Time User' HOWTO over at madwifi.org.

Good luck!
    “Remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Choose Signatures.”

BackTrack has madwifi, and as far as I know is a blend of Knoppix and Auditor.

So why would you choose not to use the latest security distro, ie BackTrack?

Just burn the ISO to a CD, boot from that and you're on your way...or am I missing something here?

Developer

this is crazy .let me help stephen. first of backtrack is the result of a merge between whax and auditor linux distros. It is the best you need not look any farther. The FBI is probabaly using it. if you go to our wiki you will see a list of cards and instructions on how to get them going or simply go to the mad wifi site and see if your card is compatable. The easier way would be to use winblows and download the .iso. then insert it in your disk drive and direct your machine to boot from the drive instead of hard disk. this is called a live cd and is a working OS. once its going open a terminal and type ifconfig -a .if you see ath0 listed your good to go.if not post the results of that command and we will atempt to help

Sorry, of course it's Whax and Auditor...not Knoppix!

But listen to purehate, he may look like a complete psycho but he makes perfect sense

BackTrack is Slax-based.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

There is a good illustration here from the 'Linux Distrobution' wiki, which shows the timeline of BackTrack and all other Linux distros (Click to enlarge).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast