Thread: BT2 Final on the MacBook

Just burned his ISO

Default BT2 Final on the MacBook

This is (at least I hope) a decent tutorial on getting the final release of BT2 working on the MacBook without the keyboard ghosting.

I did the HD install, which i guess you wouldn't have to do, but we will be compiling a new kernel, so i guess you could compile the kernel, place it on storage, and then modify the live CD.

Also i found that a USB keyboard makes this a bit easier, but not required, but a USB mouse will be needed until someone fills in how to install from the prompt.

And if for some gawd awful reason your like me and have a dvorak keyboard i will cover that also

...working...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The HD install is hopefully simple and straight forward for you.

Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant
    If you still need to download and install boot camp if can be found

URL Apple Boot Camp (i don't have 15 posts)
    The min size of 5 gig will probably work for most people.

If for some reason your repartitioning fails you will need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall, or just defrag your drive.

iDefrag is what i used.

iDefrag URL
    You will need to install it, create the bootable CD, and do a full defrag from that to clean up the hard drive enough to partition it, it will take some serious time, so i suggest starting it as you go to bed one night.

Once partitioned you can boot up with the live CD for the install. The Boot Camp changes the boot loader a bit, but i would suggest getting rEFIt. rEFIt is a graphical bootloader that will also keep your EFI and MBR tables in sync.

Grab that from
    rEFIt URL
    It has a full install package now
    Both disk image distributions (.dmg and .cdr) also contain the new installer package. It will install rEFIt on your Mac OS X installation volume and make sure it is active. This is now the recommended way to install and use rEFIt.

The steps to install rEFIt this way are as follows:

Download and mount the rEFIt-0.10.dmg disk image.
    Double-click on the “rEFIt.mpkg” package.
    Follow the instructions and select your Mac OS X installation volume as the destination volume for the install.
    If everything went well, you’ll see the rEFIt boot menu on the next restart.

Just restart the machine with the LiveCD in the drive, you will now see the boot loader pop up with 3 options, OSX, Windows, and the CD with a cute Penguin on it.

Select the cd and off we go.

I had no problems running the prerelease but the final has the keyboard ghosting when i type (double characters appear every time you hit a key once), so here is a boot option you can enter to get rid of that, but i found it kills the mouse, which is fine for now (we will use the usb mouse)

boot: slax noapic irqpoll acpi=force

So allow the system to boot, and log into the system.

Now we need to change the partition tag (Boot camp by default makes it NTFS)

fdisk /dev/sda
    That will load up fdisk to allow you to modify the internal hard drive.

Command (m for help): t
    Partition number (1-3): 3
    But wait you say, i only should have two partitions, the OSX and the NTFS!

Very true, but remember that the Mac uses EFI tables, and that information is actually stores on partition 1. So then OSX is sitting on 2, and you will have partition 3 as the NTFS.

So we change it to Linux
    Hex code (type L to list codes): 83
    Then to write the table
    Command (m for help): w
    I personally always reboot here, but to each their own, i have just seen too many problems by not taking the 2min to reboot.

Now we need to format that drive
    bt ~ # mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda3

Now we need to install, and i sure it can be done from the prompt, but i just plugged a usb mouse in and started X, someone wanna chime in here how to do the install from the prompt?

startx
    Start the installer
    Menu > System > Backtrack Installer
    Set the options
    Source: (blank)
    Install Backtrack to: /dev/sda3
    Write MBR to: /dev/sda3

Select "Real"

Install
    All should work fine there, notice the MBR is wrote to the partition not the main MBR since we are using EFI.

Menu > Logout > End Current Session

reboot

The Kernel

So like I said before the final release creates all kinds of keyboard problems, and erratic mouse movement, so we will be building our own kernel to fix that and get rid of the bloat. This is pretty much a barebones kernel for the Macbook. The link below will have the .config for both Core Duo and Core 2 Duo.

Login

then change to the src dir to download the kernel.
    cd /usr/src
    Download 2.6.22 Kernel
    wget hXXp:// www .kernel .org /pub/ linux/ kernel/ v2.6/linux-2.6.22.tar.gz < TAKE OUT THE SPACES
    Uncompress it
    tar xvfz linux-2.6.22.tar.gz
    Link it to the linux default
    ln -s linux-2.6.22 linux
    Change to the directory and make sure it is clean
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make clean && make mrproper
    Now we have to get the .config file

hXXp:// gentoo-wiki. com/ HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook/ Configuration_Files/ Kernel < REMOVE SPACES
    You can edit the config now to add extra drivers if you want
    make menuconfig
    Once done exit out of the config editor, save your changes!

Lets copy the old image to use as a backup if we need it
    mv /boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz.old
    mv /boot/System.map /boot/System.map.old
    Now update the lilo.conf so that we have the options
    nano /etc/lilo.conf
    Add this to the end
    image = /boot/vmlinuz.old
    root = /dev/sda3
    label = Original-Kernel
    read-only
    Now to make the actual kernel
    make bzImage
    make
    make install
    make modules
    make modules_install
    As long as all that compiles successfully, you should be up and running. You should see after the 'make install', LILO will be reinstalled. If for some reason it doesn't or you miss it just rerun it now

lilo
    Now we are ready to reboot! You should have a nice working system with a kernel built for your particular computer, and no longer need a USB keyboard.

I am not promising any of this to be perfect, and use some judgment, but if you run into a problem let me know, i will do my best!

Z

Just burned his ISO

Place Marker 1

Quote Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
    This is (at least I hope) a decent tutorial on getting the final release of BT2 working on the MacBook without the keyboard ghosting.

I did the HD install, which i guess you wouldn't have to do, but we will be compiling a new kernel, so i guess you could compile the kernel, place it on storage, and then modify the live cd.

Also i found that a USB keyboard makes this a bit easier, but not required.

And if for some gawd awful reason your like me and have a dvorak keyboard i will cover that also

...working...
    Place Marker 1
    Very interesting ? I am sure that it will clear thing up for lots of people ?
    Great Tutorial BTW

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Very interesting ? I am sure that it will clear thing up for lots of people ?
    Great Tutorial BTW
    LMAO-------WTF.....I dont get it. Im sure NOT gonna install on a mac book this way

Just burned his ISO

Haha, give me a bit guys, jeez, i am typing it all up!

The kid just woke up and i wanted to save what i started.

Developer

Haha, give me a bit guys, jeez, i am typing it all up!

The kid just woke up and i wanted to save what i started.
    OK but why would you start a tutorial thread with out including the tutorial Well well be on the edge of our seats waiting for "the kid" to wake up