Default NAT found then lost

Alfa card AWUS036H
    Modem
    Internal wireless card
    Virtual Box 4.1.6
    BT5 Virtual Box
    XP host

Virtual box settings
    - Adapter1: NAT->AdapterName: Blank->Adapter type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)

I have three BT5 VM's installed in VBox. Two have small virtual drives (under 10 gig)

NAT works fine and Alfa can be enabled/disabled with out effecting NAT (as long as

Alfa is disable NAT works); the third VM giving me NAT problems has been migrated to a

larger drive on a different partition. Migration seemed to go fine, and BT5 was able

to function flawlessly, except that NAT will not work. Somewhere btween starting the

bigger BT5 VBox and running aircrack a new 'Virtual Box Host-Only Network' adapter

appeared (#2) within XP host.

ifconfig on VBoxes that have functional NAT display eth0 AND lo (local loopback), but

on the broken VBox ifconfig only shows lo. eth0 is what i want on my broken VBox, how

do i get eth0??? How do i find out which adapter is being used by which VBox? Thank

you

ps: i have already tried root@bt:~# ifconfig eth0 up

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: NAT found then lost

I do not see clearly your problem..Did you moved your VM to another disk?, or to another partition?.. or cloned the vm?..I do not see it clearly...

Could you be more specific on it, please, so we can help you...Your host is XP?...Another drive?....

Luck...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    I do not see clearly your problem..Did you moved your VM to another disk?, or to another partition?.. or cloned the vm?..I do not see it clearly...

Could you be more specific on it, please, so we can help you...Your host is XP?...Another drive?....

Luck...
    Thnx 4 reply....Problem is NAT stopped working, i suspect re-enabling eth0, will solve the problem or the the virtualbox host only network adapter must be recreated to work with the moved VM (i am studying how to do that now) The VM was cloned then moved to a different partition, same drive, using gparted to increase size. Host is XP on different partition, same drive.

Just burned his ISO

I'm sure one of the gurus around has had to compare two identical virtual boxes to find problems, how is a comparison best done? Thanks in advance to the guru who wishes to share this!! I have tinkered for the last week and still cant determine why these two virtually identical vboxes are behaving so differently when it comes to NAT connectivity.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Read this..It talks about cloning a VM.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html (1. First Steps, there is all about resizing VM and clonning)

Hope it helps.

Just burned his ISO

1st thnx Maverik 4 trying to help.

Gurus and newbies alike who have successfully moved/resized a VDI for a virtualbox linux machine may benefit from this update.

Apparently a common problem when migrating/resizing a vdi is that you will loose NAT capabilities. Below links give details on how to fix the problem (Dont worry fix is easier than the migration/resize) Nutshell: Quirky but powerful linux sometimes gives existing hardware a new MAC, adds the new MAC to 70-persistent-net.rules network map file and winds up confused which MAC to apply to the hardware.

Solution and more detailed explanation available here:
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=7749 https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=7749

Credit for pointing me to the solution goes here

Hope this helps