Thread: Issues on Apple Hardware

Just burned his ISO

Default Issues on Apple Hardware

Using new Macbook Air, fully loaded. Installed BackTrack 5 R1 to bootable SD card. No video at all from laptop screen. When using external monitor, I can get into X, but the OS is unable to change or use the full native resolution of my monitor. Same problem when booting from live USB. No problems if I install BT5R1 into Parallels. Anyone have a fix so I can run it natively?

Just burned his ISO

Angry Re: Issues on Apple Hardware

I have had issues installing on a 2011 MacBook Pro. Burned three live dvd's and tried via usb, only got it to boot to GUI off usb did a install. After the reboot the track pad would not work, nor would a usb mouse.

I'm very frustrated and lost at this point. I do know others have been able to install on apple hardware tho.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Issues on Apple Hardware

Ok...just did a fresh install of 5R2 KDE. It's on a bootable SD card. ifconfig in terminal shows that it's recognizing the wireless, but it's not getting an IP address. Installed jockey, went to Hardware Drivers, saw the Broadcom STA wireless drivers, and clicked Activate. Looked like it was downloading/installing fine, but then received an error saying installArchives() failed.

Has anyone got a tried and true method of getting the wireless on a newer Macbook Air working with 5R2? What was your procedure? Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: Issues on Apple Hardware

I'm a novice, but could it be something to do with this?
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/...Virtualbox_.3F

OK, how far are you guys getting with BT5 live DVD/USB on a new mac? mines 2012. I can't get anywhere with a bootable usb using
    sudo dd if=/Users/Incandenza/Downloads/target.img.dmg of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m
    NOr could i using refit and refind and efi-2-usb linux booter for mac.

As for the DVD, it got me to the same point as everybody here - the file system error after the big splash screen.
    But, I can confirm that the DVD loads up perfectly on my early 2007 macbook which already has BT3 installed and working. I'd really like to figure this out because getting a dongle for vm sucks and i won't do it.

Lets try to figure this out. For now I've moved away from the USB and I'm going to try and mount bt5kde.dmg using toast and burn
    Last edited by kindkind; 07-11-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: changed name of error

Quote Originally Posted by mpreissner View Post
    Using new Macbook Air, fully loaded. Installed BackTrack 5 R1 to bootable SD card. No video at all from laptop screen. When using external monitor, I can get into X,
    How did you manage to load the full BT5 distro without a file system error? Can you explain how you "burned" your bootable sdcard? I use the terminal dd command:

sudo dd if=/Users/Incandenza/Downloads/target.img.dmg of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m

Like I said above I didn't even get the option or c command at startup to see the usb drive
    Last edited by kindkind; 07-11-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Just burned his ISO

hey guys

just saw this post... im new to this forum but here's my two cents

i have 2007 macbook pro and have spent days trying to install BT5 along side osx... Parrallels just isnt fast enough for me..
    the problem i had was a dodgy DVD drive and tried USB booting, but as i found out the macbook pro's firmware doesnt support legacy USB booting so it would NEVER boot off it... my last option was to try and remove my harddrive for another (for testing) and sure enough i could boot and install it to the disk... which then boot BT without help either by live CD or EFI bootloaders AND! the amazing thing after that?! the inbuilt airport card supports monitor mode / packet injection! score! and to think i bought the alfa USB card we all know and love!

last thing to do now is to erase my original HDD (long story) partition it to two volumes (OSX and BT) and transfer/restore all my data back over to the OSX volume and then live boot over to backtrack... wish i took pics now...

wish i could help more with other peoples problems... just letting you guys know its (fingers crossed) almost doable

WELL, I was able to boot a live dvd of R1 just fine! I wonder what little detail is missing or affecting the boot process on macs.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by mpreissner View Post
    Using new Macbook Air, fully loaded. Installed BackTrack 5 R1 to bootable SD card. No video at all from laptop screen. When using external monitor, I can get into X, but the OS is unable to change or use the full native resolution of my monitor. Same problem when booting from live USB. No problems if I install BT5R1 into Parallels. Anyone have a fix so I can run it natively?
    Ok...just did a fresh install of 5R2 KDE. It's on a bootable SD card. ifconfig in terminal shows that it's recognizing the wireless, but it's not getting an IP address. Installed jockey, went to Hardware Drivers, saw the Broadcom STA wireless drivers, and clicked Activate. Looked like it was downloading/installing fine, but then received an error saying installArchives() failed.Apple MacBook 13 inch,

Has anyone got a tried and true method of getting the wireless on a newer Macbook Air working with 5R2? What was your procedure? Thanks.

Just burned their ISO

Hi guys,

I'm newbie on the backtrack world so since a couple of weeks I have created a portable backtrack 5 r1 64bits, installed on a USB Flash Drive. I have tested it on a several computers (laptops) as Toshiba, Hp, Asus, Compaq, and everything works great. Now I'm working on a macbook air 11" (2012 - i7 - 8gb ram) and it's booting and loading the X ok. The big problem that it's having is that I can't see the wireless card. So I can't connect to internet.

Here is the ifconfig results:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:172 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:172 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:13809 (13.8 KB) TX bytes:13809 (13.8 KB)

Thanks for helps.