Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updating and Customizing Back|Track

Default Updating and Customizing Back|Track

Ladies/Gents,

I have finished working on the Beta release for my project to create a user-friendly interface to customizing and updating Back|Track. It is available via svn
    Code:
    svn checkout http://backtrack-update.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ backtrack-update
    It has two parts to it: iso_mod.sh and update.sh

iso_mod.sh will allow the end-user to mount the Back|Track iso in a chroot environment

update.sh will allow the end-user to modify either the host Back|Track operating system or to update the chroot environment for iso_mod.sh

There was a thread sometime a while back discussing the need for an update script to Back|Track 5 and one fella posted the right idea, but that script needed some tweaking for mkisofs and such. It also was very messy with how it handled the directories it created and such. I took the time to fix this; I do not claim original credit for the ISO modification script; I've just tweaked it a bit.

The exciting part is the update.sh script. This script is not for the apt-get side of the house. It is aimed more towards directories that require 'svn up' or 'nikto.pl -update' type stuff..... If a user wants to add in something via apt-get, they can simply do that by hand. The underlying feature is that it will allow the user to "Multi-Thread" updates via backgrounding of multiple xterm sessions. It doesn't multi-thread in the TCP/IP aspect, but it has the ability to launch multiple updates at once, thereby allowing the user to take full advantage of high-bandwidth downloads and such. Regarding where I had the ideas for what to update and such I give to sickn3ss; good job bro. (Now that I think about it, on the next revision of the script which is coming soon, I must include you in the credits)

The work on update.sh is far from done. I've used a -hold flag for xterm which forces the user to manually close each xterm screen that is launched (This was so the user could see when that specific command is finished, otherwise it would closeout without the user seeing whether is was successful or not). As soon as I implement a tail log feature for successes/failures of updating, I will erase the hold flag.

As well, I am in need of ideas for what to include on this script. It is very versatile and can have pretty much anything at all added to it.

Thanks for your time and please send feedback to my email listed in the comments of the scripts!
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Good friend of the forums zimmaro's Avatar

Default Re: Updating and Customizing Back|Track

thanks,snafu77
    even though my little experience should not afford to make judgments:
    Good jobs!
    I've only a problem when update my nmap "break my nmap-os-db file:"
    after when i play for ex:
    nmap -sS -O 192.168.1.253 obtaing:
    Parse error on line 24130 of nmap-os-db file: T4(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=A%A=Z%F=R%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24131 of nmap-os-db file: T5(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=Z%A=S+%F=AR%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24132 of nmap-os-db file: T6(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=A%A=Z%F=R%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24133 of nmap-os-db file: T7(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=Z%A=S%F=AR%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24134 of nmap-os-db file: U1(R=N)

Parse error on line 24135 of nmap-os-db file: IE(DFI=S%T=3B-45%TG=40%CD=S)

Parse error on line 24140 of nmap-os-db file: CPE cpe:/o:hp:tru64_unix:5 auto

Parse error on line 24141 of nmap-os-db file: SEQ(SP=FB-107%GCD=1-6%ISR=102-10C%II=I%TS=U)

Parse error on line 24142 of nmap-os-db file: OPS(O1=M5B4NW0NNS%O2=M5B4NW0NNS%O3=M5B4NW0NNS%O4=M 5B4NW0NNS%O5=M5B4NW0NNS%O6=M5B4NNS)

Parse error on line 24143 of nmap-os-db file: WIN(W1=F53C%W2=F0A0%W3=F000%W4=F000%W5=F0C8%W6=F02 8)..........
    .................................................. .............
    thanks!bye

Thank you snafu77!!! I got into chroot without problems. I will let you know how the ISO build goes. I just wanted to come back and share my appreciation for your work. I spent a whole day trying to write this script and gave up to more pressing matters.

Great job!!

I used the BT5r1-KDE-64

Edit: ISO built perfectly. I hope you don't mind I added the following

Code:
    if [ $burn_iso == "yes" ] ; then
            burner="$(cdrecord -devices | grep "dev=" | awk '{print $2}' | cut -c6-14)"
            wodim -v -dao speed=4 dev=$burner $(pwd)/mod/bt5-mod.iso/bt5-mod.iso
    fi
    Might be helpful for those who want to automate the entire process. You will need to install wodim for it to work though.
    Last edited by Scamentology; 11-02-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Default 回覆: Re: Updating and Customizing Back|Track

snafu777,

Great work! Even it is a beta version, it works great!

If the iso_mod.sh can delete the directory of mod before each customization will be great as the previous stuff in the mod directory may affect the next customization.

Thanks for your script. I love it.

Samiux

Default Feedback: Updating and Customizing Back|Track

Quote Originally Posted by Scamentology View Post
    Code:
    if [ $burn_iso == "yes" ] ; then
            burner="$(cdrecord -devices | grep "dev=" | awk '{print $2}' | cut -c6-14)"
            wodim -v -dao speed=4 dev=$burner $(pwd)/mod/bt5-mod.iso/bt5-mod.iso
    fi
    I love the idea. I will be adding that in on the very next release. I didn't think to have an option to where the user could burn an iso right from the script =) Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by samiux View Post
    If the iso_mod.sh can delete the directory of mod before each customization will be great as the previous stuff in the mod directory may affect the next customization.
    I love the idea =). I will add that in as an option with the next release.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Expect an updated version in 72 hrs or less =) I will post when complete.
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Original Post by zimmaro,

thanks,snafu77
    even though my little experience should not afford to make judgments:
    Good jobs!
    I've only a problem when update my nmap "break my nmap-os-db file:"
    after when i play for ex:
    nmap -sS -O 192.168.1.253 obtaing:
    Parse error on line 24130 of nmap-os-db file: T4(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=A%A=Z%F=R%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24131 of nmap-os-db file: T5(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=Z%A=S+%F=AR%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24132 of nmap-os-db file: T6(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=A%A=Z%F=R%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24133 of nmap-os-db file: T7(R=Y%DF=N%T=FA-104%TG=FF%W=0%S=Z%A=S%F=AR%O=%RD=0%Q=)

Parse error on line 24134 of nmap-os-db file: U1(R=N)

Parse error on line 24135 of nmap-os-db file: IE(DFI=S%T=3B-45%TG=40%CD=S)

Parse error on line 24140 of nmap-os-db file: CPE cpe:/o:hp:tru64_unix:5 auto

Parse error on line 24141 of nmap-os-db file: SEQ(SP=FB-107%GCD=1-6%ISR=102-10C%II=I%TS=U)

Parse error on line 24142 of nmap-os-db file: OPS(O1=M5B4NW0NNS%O2=M5B4NW0NNS%O3=M5B4NW0NNS%O4=M 5B4NW0NNS%O5=M5B4NW0NNS%O6=M5B4NNS)

Parse error on line 24143 of nmap-os-db file: WIN(W1=F53C%W2=F0A0%W3=F000%W4=F000%W5=F0C8%W6=F02 8)..........
    .................................................. .............
    thanks!bye
    Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will be checking into this error first thing tomorrow. I've used nmap after updating the file with no problems, but I will now try specifically with the syntax flags you listed
    Code:
    -sS -O
    As well, I have recently returned from Afghanistan and have been spending the majority of time with my wife and such. Haven't had the time to do all that I said I would do with the previous post. Once I got back I had a nice little Alienware M11xR3 waiting on me that also needed some tweakings. I had the 32-bit version of Back|Track and had to upgrade my custom distro to a 64-bit version. I finally finished this up tonight (Forgot how long it can take when you want to put files here and there, do apt-gets do svns, etc...).... Either way, I'll be hopping back onto the "scripting" bandwagon as soon as I can. I found a couple issues with Quickset as well as with the backtrack-update scripts that I will be fixing when I can.

Lastly,

Version 0.5 for update.sh is out!

Cheers!
    Last edited by snafu777; 11-21-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    V/r,
    Snafu

Just burned his ISO

WOW! nice script snafu777, I'm running it right now. Thanks for the post and taking the time to write the script and share it with us.

Sorry for the slow response times on my part. I've been enjoying being home from Afghanistan... Oh how I missed the USA.....

Either way, zimmaro pointed out something a while back regarding updating nmap with update.sh. Turns out he was 100% correct. I've done some digging into the problem, and it seems that you must have the most updated copy of nmap via apt-get for the update not to wreck the OS-database. For myself, I use the 5.51-bt8 version of nmap. Usage of anything more recent causes nmap to NOT be able to scan virtual interfaces such as at0. As much as I'd love to be able to use an updated version of the database, the ability to scan networks created by airbase-ng is very important to me, moreso than having updated information.

Hopefully a DEV will read this and look into the issue.

In summary, if you are going to use update.sh to keep nmap updated, make sure that you are using the most recent version of nmap... update.sh only wget's the os-db file from the website, it does NOT update your version of nmap.

Lastly, I remember encountering some bugs with how it tried to call updates on some of the programs. I don't remember them off the top of my head, and I am very much itching to fix it, but alas, I am visiting with family on the east coast and it would be rude of me to do so right now. If I can find some time at night to do it I will try to get a patch released, if that plan fails, it will have to wait until the new years......

Cheers!
    V/r,
    Snafu

Default Version 0.6 is out~!~

Ladies/Gents,

Happy and proud to announce that the newest version 0.6 has been dropped in the wild.

Changes are:
    - Even versioned after ironing out all apparent bugs
    - Added make and make install for the aircrack-ng update function, never noticed this was required and the update only updated the source, not the actual executables
    - Fixed airdrop-ng update bug
    - Replaced xterm with Eterm, it rocks!

Enjoy!
    V/r,
    Snafu

Default Re: Version 0.6 is out~!~

Awesome, I am grabbing it right now.

Thanks for the tip on Eterm. Its pretty slick, Has themes and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu777 View Post
    Ladies/Gents,

Happy and proud to announce that the newest version 0.6 has been dropped in the wild.

Changes are:
    - Even versioned after ironing out all apparent bugs
    - Added make and make install for the aircrack-ng update function, never noticed this was required and the update only updated the source, not the actual executables
    - Fixed airdrop-ng update bug
    - Replaced xterm with Eterm, it rocks!

Enjoy!
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast