Thread: USB Booting without restart

Just burned his ISO

Question USB Booting without restart

hello, i am fairly new to bt, but i have used bt4 as a dual boot, i was wondering if it was possible to install bt5 to a
    flash drive, but for it to run as soon as it is plugged in, without having to reboot and choose which os to run.

i figure vmware is needed to do this, but i am not familiar with virtual machines, but could anyone tell me if it is possible to be able to boot bt5 like that?

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: USB Booting without restart

If you run it in a virtual machine (personally, I much prefer VirtualBox to VMWare) making a flash drive is not necessary. Simply mount the ISO (you can even make a VM with no hard drive defined) in the virtual CD-ROM drive and boot.

You will lose some features (i.e.: you need a USB dongle for Wireless / Bluetooth hacking, no CUDA) but that will give you really quick access to all the tools.

You can also install BT to a hard disk in a virtual machine, which will allow you to save changes (install new tools, updates, register nessus, etc.) You don't need to worry about partitioning then, as long as you have enough free space it will simply create the partitions in a file on your host.

And then there's the dual-boot option which will give BT more RAM and direct access to your hardware.

Good luck!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Respuesta: USB Booting without restart

Quote Originally Posted by byteme View Post
    If you run it in a virtual machine (personally, I much prefer VirtualBox to VMWare) making a flash drive is not necessary. Simply mount the ISO (you can even make a VM with no hard drive defined) in the virtual CD-ROM drive and boot.

You will lose some features (i.e.: you need a USB dongle for Wireless / Bluetooth hacking, no CUDA) but that will give you really quick access to all the tools.

You can also install BT to a hard disk in a virtual machine, which will allow you to save changes (install new tools, updates, register nessus, etc.) You don't need to worry about partitioning then, as long as you have enough free space it will simply create the partitions in a file on your host.

And then there's the dual-boot option which will give BT more RAM and direct access to your hardware.

Good luck!
    thanks for this, i already have bt4 as a dualboot, but the point of the flash drive is so i can run it on any computer, almost instantly, i want to be able to plug the drive in and use backtrack, i know for a fact a virtual machine is how to do this, but vmware uses registry files and it requires installation on machines it will be used on, i want to work without this, just a simple plug in drive, load the vm, start bt and go, without installing anything