Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS L502x Laptop Working

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Dell XPS L502x Laptop Working

I had some problems installing with 'first' Boot option BackTrack Text - Default boot mode
    for some reason I got a blank screen when I started X. Using the fourth option which is named exactly the same seem to cure this!

Hardware Spec
    XPS L502x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost Display : 15.6" FHD B+RGLED True-Life (1920x1080) : Memory : 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel : Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM) Optical Drive : 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive : Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card : Wireless : Europe Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card) Mobile Broadband : Internal Dell Wireless 5540 built-in 3G/HSDPA for Vodafone SIM

Aircrack-ng needed to be recompiled from source for airmon-ng to stop hanging whilst detecting the wifi card. Once this was done the card works fine and supports injection.

It maybe a bug but for some reason epdfview was not installed by default, where it was on the VM's that I installed using the same image, but the first grub boot option.

I have not tested the bluetooth card yet.
    I hope this useful to anyone considering a new Dell XPS laptop.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Dell XPS L502x Laptop Working

Wow dude,

I was getting exactly the same Dell XPS config, except with BluRay and less Hard Drive.
    It's hard to decide. First, I thought to get a Macbook Pro, but they seem to have issues with their screens sometimes. I'm allergic to bad screens.
    How do you like your XPS? How is the screen? Even backlighting, good colors, good brightness etc.?
    What about battery life, keyboard (I do a lot of programming )? How is the heat?
    And one little thing. Sometimes the fan of a laptop spins up for a very short time or varies continuously its speed while working on it. I had it with my previous laptop and it's very annoying, it distracts me when the fan speed changes all the time. Is it the case with the XPS? And how loud is the fan noise actually?

And to the point. Hearing aircrack-ng works on the machine is good news. Now I'm almost definitely getting one. If there are no drawbacks mentioned above, at least.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRatSniff View Post
    I had some problems installing with 'first' Boot option BackTrack Text - Default boot mode
    for some reason I got a blank screen when I started X. Using the fourth option which is named exactly the same seem to cure this!

Hardware Spec
    XPS L502x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost Display : 15.6" FHD B+RGLED True-Life (1920x1080) : Memory : 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel : Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM) Optical Drive : 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive : Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card : Wireless : Europe Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card) Mobile Broadband : Internal Dell Wireless 5540 built-in 3G/HSDPA for Vodafone SIM

Aircrack-ng needed to be recompiled from source for airmon-ng to stop hanging whilst detecting the wifi card. Once this was done the card works fine and supports injection.

It maybe a bug but for some reason epdfview was not installed by default, where it was on the VM's that I installed using the same image, but the first grub boot option.

hi i have the same notebook and i'd like to know how to make the intel centrino wireless 1030 working

many thanks

Just burned his ISO

The screen seems good to me, although the high-res model I went for makes the text a bit small, but all things considered I'd say it was quite good. I use a macbook air as well and personally I prefer the screen on the Apple.
    The keyboard is ok, nice and big and reasonably easy to use and confortable.
    I really couldn't say about the battery as I've not really had the chance to put to the test yet.
    The fan seems to come on during heavy use such as when using john to crack passwords (c/s: 11883633 !!!) but it seems consitent and goes off again when the load drops. You can hear the fan is on but it's not too distracting to me (YMMV).
    I would say that I have had a problem with the wireless carrd this week, it just stopped connecting to networks for three days, but it seems to have cured itself but I'll see if continues to work consistently from now on.
    I hope this is useful to you.

Just burned his ISO

The Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 worked fine with BT5 no extra config required.

I have noticed there is a problem with the ALSA audio driver clipping (overrun) when playing an MP3. I don't know why that is but other audio seems OK.
    Last edited by HandyRatSniff; 06-27-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Audio

Just burned his ISO

Hello!
    I have the XPS L502x myself, with the Nvidia GT 540M. =)
    Installed BT5 KDE 32 with dualbooting Win 7.

Having great problems trying to install Nvidia drivers. Startx wont start, getting "No screens found, No devices detected and ddxSigGiveUp"..
    Deleting the xorg.conf lets me start though, but it aint using the nvidia drivers.

Have you gotten this to work?

Cheers. =)

Just burned his ISO

Hello @HandyRatSniff

I'm a beginner to backtrack/linux and recently I got myself the L502x as well. Happy with my choice.
    Running dualboot with Win7 and Backtrack5 KDE 64.

Been trying to set up backtrack5 correctly but cant get any better resolution than 1280x1024. Its really annoying me.
    Can you find it in your heart to please guide me on how to setup this correctly? '

A newbie in desperat need for help...

Cheers!
    -sekstiseks

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by sekstiseks View Post
    Hello @HandyRatSniff

I'm a beginner to backtrack/linux and recently I got myself the L502x as well. Happy with my choice.
    Running dualboot with Win7 and Backtrack5 KDE 64.

Been trying to set up backtrack5 correctly but cant get any better resolution than 1280x1024. Its really annoying me.
    Can you find it in your heart to please guide me on how to setup this correctly? '

A newbie in desperat need for help...

Cheers!
    -sekstiseks
    Hmmm....I think 1280*1024 is the max resolution are you trying to get less? I've not tried that as I like it as it is. Or are you using an external monitor?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRatSniff View Post

Hardware Spec

Edit:

I have same build and cannot get the wifi card to show up can you upload your aircrack ? you would be a lifesaver or a step by step guide been trying for 3 days now

Can you possibly upload the files you used that worked. I have the same dell xps 15 AND cannot get the wifi card to show. It would be life saving ive been trying 3 days now.
    Last edited by sickness; 07-15-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Just burned his ISO

Default 回复: Dell XPS L502x Laptop Working

Dear HandyRatSniff; I have the same wifi card named intel centrino wireless-n1030.. and i have faced some same problems with the card. Can you tell me the details of your fixed work? Your kindly help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast