Thread: ASUS 1215N (Is it confirmed monitoring/injecting?)

Question ASUS 1215N (Is it confirmed monitoring/injecting?)

Hi everyone, I'd like start introducing myself I'm terribly sorry if this is a double post, yet I couldn't find anything relating to this netbook based on 'backtrack 4'. I have just recently seen the basics of Backtracks capability and willing to start from fresh by basics. I'd like someone to verify that this netbook works 'out the box'. I've yet have no experience in UNIX os as well as Backtrack, hopefully I'm looking forward to buy this laptop hopefully if we get a good result and will start learning Backtrack.

I've seen this eeepc really interesting, these are the specifications shown below:

CPU & Chipset: Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz + ION2
    Memory: DDR3 2GB
    Wireless: 802.11b/g/n Bluetooth 3.0 + HS
    Display: Glare 12.1" WXGA(1366x768)
    Hybrid Storage: 250GB HDD
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA ION 2 with Optimus technology
    Battery: 6 cells 5200mAh 57W/h (up to 7hrs)
    Input: HDMI port + VGA Port

(I've heard there are different models and they additionally have):

Input: 2 x USB 3.0 ports
    Input: USB 2.0 Sleep’n'Charge port
    only for $500~

All I just want to know if this netbook works well with injecting and monitoring, because I've heard laptops/netbooks have issues running on this os, and yet there will be further actions that will be taken for patch and drivers I suppose.

I'm just trying to get myself ready, anyone that can lead me to what I need to know. The things I really want to know is:
    *How to install drivers (do i need to compile it my own?)
    *How to configure (tune & adjust)
    *If I have problem with the laptop (Wireless/system not detecting or not injecting, is there another option the USB Wireless Dongle?)

if anyone could briefly state those I would be really appreciated, and would motivate me for more interest. Thank you.

Thank you again, I will try my best to use the search tool and google believe me I couldn't find anything relating to backtrack 4 for this netbook.

regards.

Default Re: ASUS 1215N (Is it confirmed monitoring/injecting?)

Quote Originally Posted by AiDz0r View Post
    *How to install drivers (do i need to compile it my own?)
    Most of the drivers are already included in the distro. For your graphics card (NVIDIA), I believe you have to install the drivers (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong) which are already included in the repositories. You may have to install other drivers, but there should be plenty of tutorials on the interwebs to aid you with that.

*How to configure (tune & adjust)
    That will depend on your needs. You'll need to change your keyboard layout the first time you run BT4 (in case you're living in a country other than USA). The control panel will also be a good place to adjust BT4 configurations to your needs/likes. Also check the HowTo section of the forums.

*If I have problem with the laptop (Wireless/system not detecting or not injecting, is there another option the USB Wireless Dongle?)
    You'll probably not be able to inject, since it has a N wireless adapter, and being those relatively new, there's a chance BT4 doesn't have patched drivers. From my fast search on google, I believe 1215N uses a Atheros adapter, so if BT4 doesn't support it yet, chances are it will in a near future. But if you want to be sure, try to find out what the exact chipset is, then google "<chipset here>+injection", and read what others wrote about that subject.

As for the USB wireless adapter, I recommend the Alfa AWUS036H (do not confuse with AWUS036NH), but there are plenty of USB adapters you can use. Just be sure to check if it has injection capabilities or not (google "<chipset here>+injection") before buying.
    Last edited by Snayler; 09-17-2010 at 09:17 PM.

I see thanks for the tips just another 2 question of what you said, now why does wireless-n effect, and are you 100% that injecting doesn't work on all wireless-n connectors because I really want a wireless-n adaptor. Was even thinking to get a T1 antenna installed.

and the keyboard layout you said, I'm from Australia why would I need to change the layout for?

now why does wireless-n effect, and are you 100% that injecting doesn't work on all wireless-n connectors because I really want a wireless-n adaptor. Was even thinking to get a T1 antenna installed.
    I was afraid my statement would cause some confusion, that's why I wrote "probably" and "a chance" in bold and underlined. I'm not 100% sure of anything I said. Since wireless N was been around for a relatively short period of time, and being manufacturers releasing new chipsets everyday to support the 802.11n standard, there may have been not enough time to develop monitor/injection compatible drivers. The opposite may also occur. The best way for you to be certain of this is to find out the chipset of the wireless card included in the netbook and find out if there are drivers available that support injection (I feel like I'm repeating myself xD).

and the keyboard layout you said, I'm from Australia why would I need to change the layout for?
    Since you are from Australia, you won't need to change it (US and Australian keyboard layouts are the same, from what I saw in my search). But take me for example, I'm Portuguese and I need to change the layout of my keyboard to Portuguese because it's different from a US keyboard. (e.g. here I have "-" where you would have "/"). You can do a google image search to see what I'm talking about.

Hope it helps

sweet I understand :], I cannot find the chipset of the netbook that I am going to purchase because the netbook is relatively new and I can't even find this on official stores. So I have to take the risk, and purchase it and find out my own or if anyone has purchase it they can tell me.

Just burned his ISO

Talking Re: ASUS 1215N (Is it confirmed monitoring/injecting?)

1215N seems to be using AW-NE785H as wifi adapter.
    EeeUser Forum / 1215N - Hard Drive Swap with Pics!

Just burned his ISO

The chipset is the AR-9285 and works with the ath9k driver. Monitor mode and injection works. I had to apply https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/102079/ to compat-wireless to get it to work with aireplay-ng.

I have the 1215n also... GREAT netbook for using backtrack... I just wish I could turn off the Nvdia gpu to reduce power consumption - though it might make for a nice space heater on those cold winter days.

I wonder how pyrit would do on the discrete gpu...

Just burned his ISO

hello everybody, i am very beginner.
    i have a asus eee-pc 1215n. and backtrack4 live version (on a usb).
    problem is: iwconfig types only loopback and no eth0 or wlan0 or anything
    what do i have to do?
    i've never installed drivers on linux system...
    i am guessing bt4 doesn' see any card because he doesn't have drivers... maybe i am wrong.
    how can i do?
    if i type airmon-ng no card is recognised
    thank you very much
    sorry for the sillyness of my question
    Last edited by istrice; 11-05-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Does the 1215N work with 1366x768?
    are they any problems with it? going to buy it soon

Just burned his ISO

Default Re : Re: ASUS 1215N (Is it confirmed monitoring/injecting?)

Quote Originally Posted by annex View Post
    The chipset is the AR-9285 and works with the ath9k driver. Monitor mode and injection works. I had to apply https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/102079/ to compat-wireless to get it to work with aireplay-ng.

I have the 1215n also... GREAT netbook for using backtrack... I just wish I could turn off the Nvdia gpu to reduce power consumption - though it might make for a nice space heater on those cold winter days.

I wonder how pyrit would do on the discrete gpu...
    Hi, i have the 1215n too, anybody can explain how to fix monitoring.

or how to fix this path ( if it's works ?! )