Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out-of-the-box test of Multiple USB WLAN adapters

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Out-of-the-box test of Multiple USB WLAN adapters

- BT4 final and BT4 R1 (on bootable USB)
    - all drivers out-of-the-box, no extra drivers installed

Tools:
    - Wepbuster
    - Grim WEPA 1.10 alpha 6 (installed)

AP/Router:
    - Topcom webracer 1004
    - Linksys WAG325N

Encryption: WEP 64bit

Attack methods
    - arp-replay
    - chop-chop
    - fragmentation
    - cafe-latte
    - p0841

(can't seem to find a decent way to insert a table, so I'll attach an image) Rightclick "view image" for full size

Hope that helps anyone looking for an adapter.

EDIT:
    20/9: added both TP-Link version nrs, layout changes
    22/9: added adapter Netgear WG111v2 (just got in) and what a contender!
    20/11: added Asus WL-167G and TP-link WN312G adapter, totalling 12 now. Moved to a scale for the support.
    Last edited by DonJoe; 11-20-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: table updates: added Asus WL-167G and TP-link WN312G adapter + layout

Default Re: Out-of-the-box test of 9 USB WLAN adapters

Nice work.

A slightly bigger picture might be nice... that one is unreadable for me, even when I save it to disk and use a picture viewing app to zoom in.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

cant read nothing .!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    A slightly bigger picture might be nice... that one is unreadable for me, even when I save it to disk and use a picture viewing app to zoom in.
    Weird... the original image was a 1000x400 pixels GIF, but when uploading the system made it into a tiny JPG.
    This time, I converted the GIF to a JPG before uploading, and that seems to work better.

Nice work! Just some things you should change:

- AWUS036H has a RTL8187L chipset, instead of RTL8187B;
    - Linksys WUSB300N has a TOPDOG chipset, from Marvell (Info taken from here);
    - There are two versions of TP-Link WN422G, the v.1 which has a ZD1211B chipset and the v.2 with the Atheros AR9271;
    - Google says that the TP-Link WN722N also has a Atheros AR9271.

Thanks for sharing.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Yeah the forums picture rule may be tough, but it keeps the overall size down.
    You can also link to larger ones from a picture hosting service. Many are free.
    This can give others the chance also to download if the so wanted and or change the size.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I tried to determine the chipset with these (off the top of my head): dmesg, iwconfig, airmon-ng and lsusb. One of them gave me a result which I wrote down.
    I just didn't want to copy someone else's findings (wouldn't add anything right?), I only wanted to state what I found.
    Maybe I'm not using the right commands, happy to receive any other recommendations though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Nice work! Just some things you should change:

- AWUS036H has a RTL8187L chipset, instead of RTL8187B;
    Expected RTL8187L (because I looked it up before I bought it, wanted one with this chipset) but I couldn't verify this - got this string back, don't remember from which command though.

- Linksys WUSB300N has a TOPDOG chipset, from Marvell (Info taken from here);
    Actually I cannot check this one, as it is out on a loaner now. I'll come back to this one once I get my stuff back

- There are two versions of TP-Link WN422G, the v.1 which has a ZD1211B chipset and the v.2 with the Atheros AR9271;
    Any idea how I can tell them apart (visually)? I cannot see any marking of a version on the device anywhere.... Softwarewise, I just got "Atheros"

- Google says that the TP-Link WN722N also has a Atheros AR9271.
    lsusb (I think) just gave me "Atheros" and since it is not supported, the other commands didn't give me anything.

Thanks for the input! If you could give me some hints on which command to use to determine the chipset better (especially for the non-supported ones), I could improve the table further.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael
    Yeah the forums picture rule may be tough, but it keeps the overall size down.
    This can give others the chance also to download if the so wanted and or change the size.
    Is the picture not clear enough now? If not, I'll check out what you suggested and host it externally.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Done!

Since it is resized by the forum, thought that it would make it "clickable" to see the full-res, but no. So if you want to see the full-res (just 20KB GIF): rightclick and "view image" (or equivalent, this is the option in Firefox).
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-20-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJoe View Post
    - BT4 final on bootable USB
    - all drivers out-of-the-box, no extra drivers installed
    [[[ ....SNIP.... ]]]
    Hope that helps anyone looking for an adapter.
    good job, looks like you had some failures there - I know personally with the alfa AWUS036NH you just have to use the rt2800usb drivers ... u mention it has the best range, but no actual results. obviously this was out-of-the box test, it's pretty easy steps if u did try with rt2x00 drivers from compat-wireless. muts' post has info on howto do it. (yes, that post is for BT4 R1, the compat wireless steps are the same for BT4final tho)

just a thought, wonder what the difference on each adapter's performance as compared between your results on BT4 and BT4 R1?
    Last edited by fnord0; 09-19-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    'see the fnords!'

Any idea how I can tell them apart (visually)? I cannot see any marking of a version on the device anywhere.... Softwarewise, I just got "Atheros"
    The only way is to open the device. There's a sticker inside, on the black part. Mine says:

Code:
    MODEL:TL-WN422G  VER:1.2
    MO:0####9
    Thanks for the input! If you could give me some hints on which command to use to determine the chipset better (especially for the non-supported ones), I could improve the table further.
    IMHO, the best way to determine the chipset is to crack the device open and see the inscription on the chip. (e.g. My TL-WN422G says Atheros AR2524 [a.k.a. AR5007UG, AR5524 and ZD1211B])

Just burned his ISO

The only way is to open the device. There's a sticker inside, on the black part. Mine says:

Code:
    MODEL:TL-WN422G  VER:1.2
    MO:0####9
    Found out in the meantime (waiting for the mod's to process my message) that the number is also on the sticker on the box. So mine is the v2.4 - I updated the table already now.

IMHO, the best way to determine the chipset is to crack the device open and see the inscription on the chip. (e.g. My TL-WN422G says Atheros AR2524 [a.k.a. AR5007UG, AR5524 and ZD1211B])
    Ouch, I was hoping for a less invasive - software - solution.....

Quote Originally Posted by fnord0 View Post
    good job, looks like you had some failures there - I know personally with the alfa AWUS036NH you just have to use the rt2800usb drivers ... u mention it has the best range, but no actual results. obviously this was out-of-the box test, it's pretty easy steps if u did try with rt2x00 drivers from compat-wireless. muts' post has info on howto do it. (yes, that post is for BT4 R1, the compat wireless steps are the same for BT4final tho)
    Well, my idea was to test out-of-the-box support. I thought to give some info for people who didn't feel like fiddling with installing extra drivers etc. For me, I use BT4 on a non-persistent USB stick, so I would need then to install the drivers every time. So therefore out-of-the-box support is important for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fnord0 View Post
    just a thought, wonder what the difference on each adapter's performance as compared between your results on BT4 and BT4 R1?
    Definately something on my to-do list: repeat the test for BT4 R1. Not performance-wise (didn't really test it now either) but to see if more adapters are supported (the RT2870 I hope?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast