Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School I got kicked out of is paying me to hack back into the network

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation School I got kicked out of is paying me to hack back into the network

So I was expelled in December for hacking the wifi and sniffing network traffic and getting the teachers email and online gradebook passwords.
    I changed some grades and a kid snitched so I was kicked out.
    About a week ago I dropped my sister off and ran into the principle who was a former teacher of mine.
    He emailed me and asked if I would like to make some money (I will send people who are willing to help a pm of the message)
    I said yes, and had a meeting with him the next morning and told me he will pay me to hack back into the network and write a report for him, there will be a contract so it will be legit.

I am asking for your help as I'm fairly new to Backtrack and just fool around a bit, would anyone be willing to guide me/teach me a few basic things?
    ps sorry about the late post this is to be done Tuesday and Wensday, then i go of to study for an Info Sys degree.

Developer

Default Re: School I got kicked out of is paying me to hack back into the network

ROTFFLMAO! Okay, I *KNOW* that I am being punked this time.....

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: School I got kicked out of is paying me to hack back into the network

for those who dont believe here is the contract names and #'s deleted

Code:

I was called out of town unexpectedly.

The agreement language is printed below. 

If it works for you and your parents, let me know.  If it does not, that is also fine.

I apologize that I was not able to get this to you earlier.

Network Review Expectations

This document outlines the general expectations held by ****** for a review of network access capability.

The reviewer shall attempt the following:

1.      The reviewer will endeavor to access, on 13 September 2010, the following secured wireless networks in the School: **** and ****.
    2.      The reviewer will attempt, on 13 September 2010, to obtain access to email and academic information [Powerschool] servers.
    3.      The reviewer will attempt to identify weaknesses in network security enabling access to these systems.

**** authorizes the reviewer to access identified wireless network facilities, software, and data solely for purposes of achieving these goals.

The review shall be performed by in consideration of the payment of the sum of $500.00., $250 of which may be paid at the time the contract is signed, and $250 of which will be paid at the time a final report is provided to the Customer by the Reviewer

The reviewer shall not disclose confidential Information, including security issues, except to ****.  The reviewer will not copy, use, retain, or disclose confidential/School information to other parties. 

Date

LOL! This kind of posts makes me miss the old "idiots corner"...

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Haha pretty good man 10 for effort
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Two ideas that initially came to mind in terms of making things secure:

1: Find the computer where all the "delicate" information is stored, go behind the desk, crouch down, look for where the Ethernet cable goes into it, and pull out the cable. Just forbid this computer from being on any kind of network. If it has a wireless card then pull it out and burn it (you may need to use petrol because those green boards are pretty stubborn to burn).

2: Put the computer hosting the "delicate" information on its own special network (e.g. 10.10.69/24), and be VERY VERY VERY particular about how this network can be accessed. Forbid any incoming TCP and UDP connections to this subnet. Note, however, that this doesn't destroy the possibility of client-side attack.

Personally, I'd go with the first idea... I wouldn't even let the special computer have internet access.

Also another way of making a network more secure is to forbid any use of Microsoft software on any of its hosts (especially the Microsoft Windows operating system).
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    1: Find the computer where all the "delicate" information is stored, go behind the desk, crouch down, look for where the Ethernet cable goes into it, and pull out the cable. Just forbid this computer from being on any kind of network. If it has a wireless card then pull it out and burn it (you may need to use petrol because those green boards are pretty stubborn to burn).

2: Put the computer hosting the "delicate" information on its own special network (e.g. 10.10.69/24), and be VERY VERY VERY particular about how this network can be accessed. Forbid any incoming TCP and UDP connections to this subnet. Note, however, that this doesn't destroy the possibility of client-side attack.
    At the high school in my hometown, they had your first option implemented, but they decided to create a second network, for productivity reasons (teachers need to access the system from their home/other locations). It's much more insecure, yes, but there has to be a balance between security and the company needs.

Enjoy your ban.
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux

Just burned his ISO

well i posted the contract that was emailed to me but i guess it didnt go through
    also i was kicked out because i ran tcpdump and analyzed the wifi traffic and the microsoft exchange webserver did not have ssl enabled so it was broadcasting passwords in plain text

I could care less whether you believe me or not, I am asking for help because I want to deserve what I am being paid.

Thats great, thats really great.

Any Principal that actually did contract out a security assessment of their network to someone they just expelled for hacking it must either have no sense of self preservation or must be looking to get fired.

What happens if you break something? Im assuming you don't have professional indemnity insurance? I also don't see any reference to limitations of liability in that contract you are to sign. Are you even old enough to legally enter into a contract yet?

Another thing I love about this is that it teaches other students a great lesson - get caught hacking the network and you get a chance to get paid!
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast